California ruined the nostalga of the black plate. :(

Discussion in 'California 2nd Genners' started by Knuckle Dragger, Apr 23, 2018.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Oh so I cant my current plate number reassigned to a blue and yellow?

2. Printstron

Printstron Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Unfortunately nope.

3. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

That is correct. I did this about 6 months ago on my 71SS. Never could stand the current white plates it had. The YOM program was updated to allow blue/yellow plates on cars up to 1980.

I found a set of blue/yellow plates on Ebay.

It took two visits since some things (nothing major) on the plates weren't right. Here are some tips from my experience with the DMV:

You MUST have two plates and they must be in good shape, not all beat up and rusty.

Make sure the license plates are not in already use. Before you buy them, enter the plates in the section of the DMV website where you would check to see if personalized plates are already in use. It works for blue/yellow plates as well. As a test, I entered the blue/yellow plates from the 79 Trans Am and sure enough it showed them as already in use whereas the Ebay plates did not return a match so I bought them. You can also call the DMV but for me checking them on the website is good enough.

Next very important - the plate MUST have a matching sticker of the year of your car on the upper right hand side of the plate. The plates I bought had the green 1971 sticker on the left side and yellow 1972 sticker in the right side. These plates are from before a month sticker was used. The nice lady (she really was) at the DMV said to unpeel the 71 sticker and put it on the right side when I return. After carefully peeling off the 71 sticker, it wouldn't stick to the right side over the 72 sticker so I glued it one with super glue. It just needs to be on for the lady to see it.

They will take a photo copy of the plates and send them to Sacramento for approval. It took about 4 weeks but they were approved and I was able to put on the more appropriate blue/yellow plates on my 71 and I love the look!

Printstron and roeville like this.
  4. NorCal_71

NorCal_71 Veteran Member

I got my blue plates on my 71 now!
    Now I just have to get the car looking as good as the plates!!!
    Blue plates 001.jpg

roeville likes this.
  5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can you get personalized Blue / Yellow plates ???? , I've got personalized Black/Yellow plates currently

6. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

no, you have to find one online and get it assigned to your car.
    alternatively you can paint the black one and hope you don't get a ticket for it (which is unlikely)

muscl car likes this.
  7. Printstron

Printstron Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is the same exact situation I went through. Mine had two stickers when I submitted the first time. The lady hinted at me removing the second one and resubmitting. It worked. Now I have blue and yellows. If that didnt work i was just going to order the new release Black and Yellows as the layout on the lettering is I the same as as the Blue and Yellow, then send them off to be repainted. I spoke with an ex-CHP officer and he said no one would be aware as it doesn’t populate when/if you get pulled over.