Calling all HEI guru's

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Steve's 74, May 4, 2019.

1. Steve's 74

Steve's 74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and help so far.

Have you checked / replaced the connection plugs?
    Yes. Disconnected/connected and jiggled those wires one time when it didn't start. No luck. Although I still can't say it's absolutely not the culprit.
    Is that bent ground strap attached inside the cap with one of the coil hold down screws clamping on to make good contact?
    Yes.
    pickup coil Thought about that but how would lifting/replacing cap make it start if the distributor itself is not disturbed?
    rotor with the tiniest hole burned through the plastic by the rotor/distributor contact. gonna check that tomorrow. would explain why it only happens occasionally (I wonder what the odds of stopping on that point are). and maybe when I lift/replace the cap I'm moving it just enough to relocate the contact point.
    rotor bushing. possibility since it would move when I lifted the cap.

One other thing I haven't done...Next time it happens I'm gonna carefully remove the coil cover and re-check the primary circuit, and also move each of those wires (red/yellow) without taking the cap off. If it starts then its gotta be a bad wire on the coil or a connection to them. I could just throw a new coil in there, but I'd really like to find the problem first.

74BIBELOT and [email protected] like this.
  2. Steve's 74

Been almost a year now since I gave up trying to figure this out and just replaced cap, rotor, coil, and module with a Pertronix Flamethrower. Right away I noticed it fired up faster and runs smoother.
    It's fired up every time since. I'm guessing it was the module, but I'll probably never know.

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Thanks for the update. I was gonna say that before firing the parts cannon at a 30+ year old HEI, you can get some good aftermarket replacements for not much money.

4. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

I just saw your original post. You say that you have 7.6 ohms on the secondary? That should be 7600 ohms. Did you make a typo? Primary should be about .5 ohms.

5. Steve's 74

Who knows. I can't remember yesterday. Probably had meter on Kohms when I wrote the numbers on the scrap paper and missed converting when I wrote that.

Surprised nobody else questioned that.

6. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

Years ago I put on a Summit Blue printed HEI dizzy. It left me stranded many times. Car would quit and would not fire until totally cooled down as in hours. I replaced everything inside that thing and it still did it. MSD billet dizzy ever since. I kinda feel sorry for the guy I sold it to. Well, actually gave it to him. he bought my intake manifold and I threw the dizzy in with it.