Caltracs, Split mono leafs, questions

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Gasoholic, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

So I'm getting ready to pull the switch on a set of Caltracs, split mono leafs, shackles, pads, bushings, etc... Basically I plan to replace all my rear leaf spring suspension.
    I'll be talking to Calvert racing tomorrow about this but in the mean time I thought I would ask here.

For my 78 with GM 10 bolt diff. Staggered shocks.

My questions are,

my OE spring/shock mount brackets had tee bolts and small diameter u-bolts. I didn't measure but they look like 3/8ths diameter. Possibly 7/16ths. I'm not great with eye balling sizes, but I know they aren't 1/2".
    The replacement u-bolts I'm looking at from Caltrac are 1/2inch. Looks like thats the only diameter they sell.
    Any problems with drilling out my mounts to accept the 1/2inch u-bolts?
    Also any thoughts on swapping out the inside tee bolts and installing u-bolts so that I would have 4 u-bolts as opposed to 2?
    I'm thinking 4, 1/2" dia U-bolts for 3" axle tube and 6 inches long?
    Does that sound right?

2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Did that when installing my Hotchkis leafs. Drilling is much easier with rear end out, but doable from underneath. Just take your time and drill out in multiple steps or the drill will bite. I replaced the T-bolts with an extra set of U-bolts aswell for extra rigidity. No cons to doing this. Don't know the size of the bolts by heart, sorry.

Gasoholic likes this.
  3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

pretty sure oem is 7/16 and you are going to 1/2...common fix/upgrade. Just be sure to torque then correctly as with any u-bolt...you should have about the same number of threads hanging out on each end. Cut off what you don't need leaving at least 3 full threads exposed. Only issue i recall is the brake line...nothing difficult

Gasoholic likes this.
  4. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Cool thanks!

So one other question,
    I ordered my parts earlier today. Calverts doesn't offer new spring "pockets" for where the front of the leafs mount.
    I found some on SS396. They're stock OE replacements with bolts and j-nuts.
    Are there any upgrades for these? I searched and I found some ones from UMI that are kind of weird looking. They have the 2 holes for the spring eye bolt for a "Herb somebody or nother mod" that supposed to help with rear end squat?
    I'm just wondering if theres anything that doesn't require using those dumb j-nuts. I hate them things!

5. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Gasoholic likes this.
  6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Gasoholic likes this.
  7. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Save yourself some coins by removing your front brackets and modifying them yourself as per example in the stickies.

Gasoholic likes this.
  8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

His name is Herb Adams, google and read everything you can...he was basically the handling godfather at Pontiac/GM for our F bodies.

This site is full of great info on this "anti-squat" HA mod. Basically you move the front spring perch bolt 3/4" up in the pocket and "window" the top if need be. Use thicker and 1" longer rear shackles to keep the same approx. ride height.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Gasoholic likes this.
  9. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Sorry if I offended anyone. Wasn't my intention.
    I read so much stuff its hard for me to remember it all. And I'm bad with names anyway.

Funny, my wifes maiden name is Adams. You'd think I'd remember something like that :)

biker likes this.
  10. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't think you offended anyone. I have that mod with Custom Works rear shackle kit. Works well, no traction bars, no hop. If you're going straight line, a good traction bar setup might be helpful. I had old SSM bars when I was doing that.