Cam Question

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 73 DEVILLE, May 19, 2007.

1. 73 DEVILLE

73 DEVILLE Member

Hi everybody.

I would like to know which stock GM cam is interchangeable with a stock 97 L31 Vortec? I am actually looking for a cam that will work better then the stock Vortec truck cam along with a Eddy RPM intake without touching the stock Vortec heads?

2. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

There's probably quite a few choices out there that would work. I would think a stock LT1 or LT4 cam (not the LT4 Hotcam- too much lift) would be a modest upgrade over the truck cam and work with the stock heads- you can buy they used on ebay for cheap. Aftermarket choices are probably quite a few, too, but would be more money.

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Some of those truck motors were factory hyd roller cams, some weren't. Either way you can use a flat tappet hyd cam and will work fine if you remove the intake "spider" and switch over the the flat tappet lifters
    The Isky 262/270HL (208/[email protected] 112LS) will certainly serve you fine
    If the engine already has the factory hyd roller setup in it I would try to take advantage with something like the Crower 00409LM but ordered on a 114 lobe seperation

4. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

All of the Vortec engines (R motor) had roller cams.