Cam Selection 327

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Craig01, Jul 9, 2021.

1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Stock valve covers won't work with TF heads? Ouch.

2. 1320feet

1320feet Veteran Member

Use following link Comp cams 268H and click recommend components. At the bottom are two valve springs. click on the red part number to find spring details.

3. jp71ss

jp71ss New Member

rocket dawg likes this.
  4. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

Yup
    Yup

Yup, Not even the final gen 1e w/ vortecs & roller ... even those are ~80 lb on seat single.
    The two recommended comp single springs ... 981 is their "Z28" ... 983 much the same but higher rate. I'm somewhat surprised comp didn't recommend a beehive as well.
    JMO: When "building" a motor, expect to dry fit/mock up & measure-check for proper clearance; experience will tell you a lot about what'll work & what won't (e.g. dual springs w/ a baby sbc cam). Manufacturers would have to write a novel-length set of instructions & procedures to cover every instance; they'd have to revise their SOP every week as others' latest parts are available. YMMV

rocket dawg likes this.
  5. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

No they wont. You might be able to elongate the holes in the valve covers but then the gasket still wouldnt seal very well. With new rockers and valve covers was an extra $500. $320 for the rollers, close to $200 for new aluminum valve covers.

6. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

Good info. This will help people looking at Comp cams. I figured out which rockers I used to have. Crane High Intensity roller rockers. They worked fine on my World Products heads, but not on the Trick flow heads.

7. DennisG

DennisG Member

A high lift cam caused my rockers to hit the valve covers. So I used two valve cover gaskets with an aluminum plate "glued" between them. problem solved cheaply.

sandlapper likes this.
  8. need-for-speed

need-for-speed Veteran Member

Do the 2004R. The lower 1st gear will make it MUCH more fun to drive. I replaced my turbo 350 with a 700R4 and I can burn rubber from here to Galveston LOL.

9. need-for-speed

need-for-speed Veteran Member

are you sure the “inner spring” isn’t a damper ?

sandlapper likes this.
  10. hd_cat

hd_cat Veteran Member

Sounds like a great starting point, I'd consider the Performer RPM intake manifold and a Holley 670 Street Avenger carburetor. The Comp XE274 Cam would likely top the 268H, A 10" TCI converter would help, as would the 3.42:1 or 3.73:1 differential gears. We have an XE274 cam in our GM Goodwrench Crate 350 with a TCI 10" converter and a TH350 rebuilt with a TCI rebuild kit, and 3.73:1 gears, car is fun to drive and is pretty responsive. I also shimmed the HEI to limit timing variance added an Accel Coil, headers and 3" full exhaust, sounds pretty fierce too! Good luck with your project, and yes, I know what free advice is worth... I'm sure you'll find your way to optimize your set-up!