Cam timing

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Dennis Wilkie, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Dennis Wilkie

Dennis Wilkie Veteran Member

Well, when I got everything hooked up and went to connect the ground to the block, it tried to melt my terminals, lol. Not much I can do about the capacitor being opened up like that but rebuild it

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yes. Just busting your balls. I want to see it run well for you.

3. Dennis Wilkie

I already know. I was convinced that I was gonna break it in this past weekend until my entire engine was reading 12.55 volts, lmao...and it's only that low because it's been outside for 3 months in the cold

4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Well, Blueprinting is a term that is "overused" in my view, when you see scribble's on paper or a poorly filled in invoice from the "machine/engine" shop, that's not "blueprinting" LOL.

I have had NEW heads from the "factory/manufacturer" that were out of whack by a few to many CC's....smaller to larger, and seats not at the same depth, so your CR ends up all over the map. So there not blueprinted, and the compression "balance" is also out the window...

That's the reason to "blueprint" every component, you catch everything even before the "pre assembly" even happens.

If the engine does not perform as it should have, or fails for whatever reason, look at the "blueprints" and if there were filled out correctly, you can pin point the issue fairly quickly. Without it, your just taking swings at it.

Look at a crank sheet, before and after, that's a blueprint spec, my carbs are 2 full sheets, there blueprinted.

sandlapper likes this.
  5. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

I concur... term is used very loosely nowadays, I should have known better to make assumptions LOL... I put the blame on all these ads and promos by companies who wants to sell their products.

G72Zed and sandlapper like this.
  6. Dennis Wilkie

I hand picked and installed every single component in the engine

7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

That's a good thing for sure, you know everything that's in the engine, including all the part#'s and specific information on them.

Building/fitting and torqueing it all together is quite the task, it's fun, and satisfying putting it all together and seeing the end result.

Assembly takes time....but "blueprinting" takes a massive chunk of your time, and truly test's ones patience, especially when corrections need to be made to something that "looked" perfect and even "bolted" on and was "all ready to go".

8. Dennis Wilkie

I could've just thrown it all in and probably been back on the road months ago, but I didn't. It's been parked since the summer because i'm trying to do this to the best of my ability with very limited resources. I understand where everybody's coming from, and I really appreciate all of the advice and feedback, but i'm not cutting any corners here, and there's only so much I can do with the few resources I do have.

9. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

JMO
    Blueprinting requires well-developed skills; many associated tools & gaging. Including several different pricey hi-resolution gages and the ability to verify the gages are correct and the operator(s) are measuring properly (skilled gage R&R). It requires measuring all parts' dimensions (new & freshened) compared to available engineering drawing aka blueprints and/or credible standards. Most folk either don't have the proper gages/tools or the ability to use them properly (e.g. GD&T) or ability to quantify how well both the gaging/tools and humans are performing (e.g. gage R&R) ... maybe none of the above. Many more folk than not simply don't wanna know or go to the trouble; some of those farm it out to a pro. Most folk cannot simply look at a part or feel how it fits without years of bona fide experience & technique. YMMV

Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  10. Dennis Wilkie

Just finished degreeing my cam and checking the centerline and all that good stuff. Everything was close enough for my liking since I had to make extensions to fit the wheel. It was only off by +3° and i'm gonna chalk that up to the semi-wobbly wheel. But I also just primed the lifters and oil pump as much as I could before I killed my drill battery, and got oil to all but 1 rocker. So 1 more battery drain and it should be good to go. Oh, and I ended up having to put the old alternator back on for the time being. Got tired of fooling with it. I'm ready to start this thing if I could get somebody over here to hold the timing light and help make the necessary adjustments.

Attached Files: