Camaro RS LS1 Build Thread

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by thesalboy, Jun 3, 2017.

1. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Among the last of the projects to complete before taking the shell off the rotisserie were trim rivets. Given that I had to replace some due to new panels or rust repair, I decided to grind all of them off front and rear to get all of the rust out of those rust-prone areas and start fresh. A post on another forum confirmed it was doable with the HF gun, so I got the parts off Amazon. The long adapter that holds the trim-stud-electrode-tip had to be tapped (M8x1.25) and cut shorter, and the collar had to be crimped so it would stay on the welder, but otherwise it worked great! (I saw Russ' video on this and believe that he was not holding the trigger long enough.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Nice work straightening that all out!

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Nice work. Never could understand why people use the pinch welds, and even the rocker, and still do it. Many cars we put on the frame machine we have to straighten out the pinch welds to get the clamps on. Smashed flat to the rocker. I think I told you I said that to the U Pol rep, and he just stared at me. lol

4. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Yeah I'll never be able to use that filler without thinking about Super Colon Blow!

xten likes this.
  5. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

I'm late to the party, but you are doing a fine job! Nice work!

6. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Awesome job on the trim studs... still have to figure that out in mine. No studs on my new 1/4 panels.

7. Double R Restorations

I never could get the trim studs to hold on mine. Different gun/tool. They would weld fine, but would break off fairly easily. I ended up going with the screws and panel bond. I still haven't given up on getting them to work though.

8. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

As part of my research, I watched your video, Russ, and can tell you that I held the trigger much longer than you - a good 2-count, I'd say. That was my reaction when I watched your video, too. (Your gun did look like it has seen some use, though.) But...

I decided to Ospho/red Scotchbrite the window channels to prep the studs and surrounding areas as much as possible for paint given how rust prone that area is. I got aggressive with them to give me some confidence that they were all really on there good. Two studs came off during scrubbing (not easily, mind you) - both of the ones near the top corners of the windshield - I think it's hard to get the angle correct there (as it took me 3-4 tries on one of them when I redid them). I also didn't like the look of the "hat" on one of the ones on the rear - there was extra material on the "shaft" that could have interfered with the trim clip - maybe a bad rivet or something happened during welding. I ground that one off and redid it too. Also, before spraying, I plan to swab each stud with epoxy primer to make sure that each one is covered underneath the "hat." Need to find something better than a Q-tip, but not sure what - I'll pick up some small paintbrushes off Amazon.

Hope to have the shell off the rotisserie, on jack stands, and primed (firewall painted too) this weekend. Then assembly begins!

Double R Restorations likes this.
  9. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

Looking Great!!!! Can't wait to see it all done and ready to go!!!

10. Double R Restorations

That was the consensus, that the gun didn't have enough power. The manufacturer wants me to send it in but it's out of warranty. I have a buddy that has one so I need to check his and see.

Looking forward to seeing some assembly pics.