Camaro RS LS1 Build Thread

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by thesalboy, Jun 3, 2017.

1. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Looks great.

2. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Im curious about that...seems that things stick to Epoxy better than paint. Im probably going to paint and clear mine first. Allthough I dont think anyone would notice since im going black

3. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I would like to know the reason as well, I can't imagine it saves much on materials.

hot72rod likes this.
  4. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

If they skipped there, you better go over the car with a fine tooth comb just to be sure they did not miss anything else.

giggity likes this.
  5. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Communication breakdown. When I visited the shop in January, they had already jambed the trunk, but they had painted body color the lower rear window "trim" that is part of the package tray. I noted on the task list I gave them that I'd painted it satin black and it had to stay that way. During my visit in December, I even had a conversation one-on-one with the bodyman/painter about that very issue - I remember pointing out what was already painted and needed to stay black. I guess it would have been better if I speak fluent Spanish. He didn't understand that what I was referring to was just the "trim" that is visible through the glass, and instead apparently thought I just had some pet peeve about how the window channels had to be black. Whatever, it's got epoxy and satin black urethane on it, and no one will ever see it, so it's fine.

6. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know how that language barrier goes, I was telling the guys cleaning a over grown yard that they needed to cut down all the weeds, came back and all the trees and everything was gone, HAA HA

hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

For good measure, I scuffed and brush-painted the window channels with POR15, making sure to cover the tape line to minimize the possibility of water intrusion.

[​IMG]

I've been making progress during the virus crisis. I actually feel fortunate to have this project to keep me busy, and the wherewithal to focus on it.

First thing I did is cover key areas with Transportwrap to protect the paint.

I'm happy with how the door handles came out. The aftermarket door latches work well. I'd heard of people having problems, but none so far for me. My originals were toast. Will be starting door assembly soon, finally getting to use all the hardware I had plated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Welded up subframe connectors. I will hit those welds with Upol Raptor, along with the underside of the rockers - shop only painted them.

[​IMG]

Went way overboard on the Hushmat, but just couldn't stop myself once I started. Still need to do the roof and trunk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last two weeks have been spent at the dining room table with the AAW harness. Their "instructions" leave a lot to be desired, and I'm thankful for Painless making their installation guide available to all. The labeling on some wires is illegible, and none of their crimps are soldered, but otherwise quality seems pretty good. I had to really tear into the harness given my setup and customizing. For example, I've removed almost all of the wires going thru the bulkhead connector into the engine bay: my battery is in the trunk, my PSI harness handles all engine wiring, and I'm not using factory wipers. I'd be ready to install the harness if my power windows harness were here. Latest from Jabin Wood, aka junkyardZ28find, aka HarnessWorx, is that it will arrive tomorrow, but only time will tell because he won't give me a tracking number.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can you find the kitty?

[​IMG]

8. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I love the handles.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    thesalboy likes this.
  9. StephenShoubridge

StephenShoubridge Member

looking really good, would appreciate plenty of door assembly pictures when you start

thesalboy likes this.
  10. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Shooting Raptor under the car was not fun, but it's done, and I got the rockers too and am happy I did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wired up my Digi-Tails. Really happy with the results. Word of warning: the connector on the outboard LED panels was incorrect on my kit, and I had to shave off 2 of the 3 nibs (to make it match the extension harness single-nib connector) to make the connector work properly. I had to disassemble one tail to fix this, and am really glad I caught it because that lead had backed out and likely would have disconnected itself over time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hooked up my new power probe to a scooter battery to test it out.

Last edited: May 2, 2020