Camaro snow tires?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by hujibwa666, Sep 27, 2007.

1. hujibwa666

hujibwa666 Veteran Member

Don't kill me! haha. I'm toying with the idea of driving my Camaro from New York to Alaska this January (no more winter driving after that, I just have to get it there), and I think I'm going to need some serious snow tires! Any suggestions? The cars has lowering springs in the front and rear, so I'll probably have to change them out while I'm home (I have stock ones I can throw in) I've never shopped for snow tires before. What should I look for? I'm definitely getting studded tires, too

2. andrew1977

andrew1977 Veteran Member

if you do decide to do it... pressure wash the entire underside of the car when your there.... otherwise the car will rust bad, and fast.

personally i would never do it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  3. kracked1

kracked1 New Member

Studded tires are illegal in alot of states so check that out also.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Nah, that is a Minnesota thing. :whine:
    They are fully legal here in North Dakota in the winter. We have found that studded tires are much better for the environment than salt.
    Back when my Camaro was new and I had to drive it all winter, I had a nice pair of BF Goodrich white letter TA radial 60 series studded snow tires. Yes, BFG used to make them. Good traction on snow and ice, and good handling on dry pavement too.

5. sikzdrivr

sikzdrivr Veteran Member

Camaro + snow = ice capades :D

6. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So are ya cutting thru Canada? Wouldn't it be wild to run the ice roads in a Camaro?:cool:

7. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

POSI! Without posi you might as well just travel behind the plows if it snows.
    Chains work great with posi on snow and ice.
    Practice installing them before you need them.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I always found studs only good on snow and ice packed roads. Even when I was going to Vermont every weekend to ski, I just never hit that. The main roads in states that get snow regularly are just taken care of too quickly. Studs on wet pavement are no fun.

4 quality snow tires, maybe a bit narrower then stock (like 205/75/14 instead of 215/70/14), would be better 99% of the time. I think your limited ground clearance and light weight over the drive wheels are your biggest issues.

Good luck. I think you are insane to do that in winter. :crazy:

9. hujibwa666

hujibwa666 Veteran Member

Yup, that's the first thing I'll do, without a doubt. The biggest reason I want it in Alaska is so I can use the auto shop on base to work on it. They have an in house machine shop, so I can rebuild a motor for DIRT cheap, and restore pretty much the whole car in a couple of months.

10. April81Z28

April81Z28 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

My 81 has a posi rear and it still was total crap in the snow. I ended up with the rear passenger tire against a curb when the rear slid out on a ramp to I-95. It took me an hour to get the car up the ramp to the point where I could straighten it out. Move forward and the rear would slide against the curb every time.

Unless you have the time to lay up when there's snow on the road, I think you're nuts, lol! NBL, dude and if you decide to go for it anyway - good luck and pack lots of weight in the trunk. :)