Camper shell storage... got any ideas?

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
So I pulled the shell off of my 98 z71 last night for the first time in 20 years. The previous owner had it put shortly after buying the truck new in 98 and never pulled it off. I pulled it last night to get the back glass tinted and to be honest I can see me leaving it off as the truck just looks better without it in my opinion. But I want to keep the shell around incase I need it for hunting or hauling something that needs to stay dry or locked up. So that leads to the question of how do I store this dang thing without losing a ton of floor space to it. Keep in mind it probably weighs 200 lbs or more if I had to guess so not real easy to move around.

Here is a before and after of the truck
20180709_181312.jpg
20180926_090725.jpg

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
They make ceiling mounted winches for these things. I've seen them specifically for Corvette removeable tops, but don't see why they couldn't also be used for a camper top. You may have to add a couple of hooks to the top. You can get stainless steel flip up-down recessed hooks that you can't even see.

Zspoiler

Veteran Member
May 6, 2012
Federal Way, Washington
Here are those Costco car tents. They are big enough to hold a car. So you set your canopy on sawhorses and some kind of fabricated stand .And you would only gain space instead of losing it.

Shizzle

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2012
oak lawn, illinois
I have the same predicament. It’s a pain in the ass to take it off.
I just stood it on end in the garage at work.
Behind that barn looks like a fine spot to store it.

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
I have the same predicament. It’s a pain in the ass to take it off.
I just stood it on end in the garage at work.
Behind that barn looks like a fine spot to store it.

Yeah that was my initial thought to but it is in such good shape I don't know that I can bring myself to set it in the weeds...

They make ceiling mounted winches for these things. I've seen them specifically for Corvette removeable tops, but don't see why they couldn't also be used for a camper top. You may have to add a couple of hooks to the top. You can get stainless steel flip up-down recessed hooks that you can't even see.

any links for the ceiling winches?

Shizzle

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2012
oak lawn, illinois
I am not sure people realize how heavy & awkward these damn caps are. My Leer could fairly easily be moved with 2 people. The cap on my new Ram, can be moved with 2 guys, but we struggled to do it.

Back in the day I had a Nissan hardbody with a cap, I'd get under it and pop it on my shoulders and jump off the tailgate with it.

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
I've seen some of the projects you do, how about making a dolly with wheels to hold it semi upright? You could tuck it away in a corner and it would move easy if you needed to.

Latest posts