Campers...camping...just bought one help

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Apr 10, 2021.

1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Well last year (before the “covid” really took off) we had started looking for a camper.... never really found anything. Was looking for something cheaper - under 10k - as it was our first and I didn’t to get in too deep. Now we went and did it haha bought a 2014 but I have to fix a few little things. Anyway - what are the must haves and basics you guys suggest to have?

3E7F665D-9EF2-41C5-A5B5-BB55A5DC489E.jpeg 29413985-E008-45FB-9930-740FEF260D8D.jpeg BBF3CAC1-2C8A-45AB-A3CB-651864A30CB4.jpeg

2. steins70z28

steins70z28 Veteran Member

Number one for me is a quality stabilizing hitch. I have a blue ox which is used by many do to the reasonable price. I pull a 25 ft trailer and it keeps it from swaying or bouncing all over the place. The only draw back is it will definately stiffen the ride of you tow vehicle. The other thing that I recently purchaced is an air pressure monitoring system (Eeztire) that continuously monitors all 4 tires to a screen I suction mount just above my rear view mirror. It alerts you when you have a tire that isn't within the ranges that you can preselect.

sandlapper and sooner like this.
  3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Great looking rig, you will love it. Hauled one around every summer when the kids were young, I miss those days.
    X10 on the stabilizing hitch. Once you get the hang of how much tension they need, they are easy to set up. They just distribute load better and definitely stops the trailer from wagging the dog.
    I kept an I.R. temp gun to check axle bearing heat at gas stops, just because I never wanted to be the guy on the side of the road trying to chisel off a welded bearing race.
    A poop caddy is handy for places that dont have individual sewer hook ups.

4. M1 Master Gunner

M1 Master Gunner Veteran Member

Definitely agree on the anti-sway hitch. A white water hose, battery operated impact for the stabilization jacks, an inline water pressure reduction attachment for the water hydrant, camper toilet paper, some type of deodorant for the septic system and a shower head that you can turn off and on while showering (so you don’t run out of hot water). These are a few of the items that made life better for me. I had never spent any time in a camper until I got one for work so it was a steep learning curve for me.
    Good luck and have fun you will meet some great people.

sandlapper and sooner like this.
  5. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^excellent advise and totally agree with all of it.

1 more thing would be a clear elbow for your black tank with a water hose connection on it. Its gross, but its worth it to be able to see when you have everything out of there.

As far as black tank care, we usually get up early on the day that we are leaving so we can get to the dump station before everyone else does. Since generally nobody will be behind us, we are able to fill up and completely flush our black tank as many times as needed to get it running clear. Then we hit it with the black tank detergent as mentioned above to control odor/bacteria.

Also you will need something to level your camper with when you get it to the site. I just use 2x6's and 1x6's cut into roughly 10" lengths under my wheels to get level. They do make all kinds of store-bought things to level your trailer if you want to go that route.

6. VIZ28

VIZ28 Veteran Member

Congratulations on your new trailer *campers have no wheels and load in a pick up box.

Take the time to properly set up your weight distributing hitch (takes about 45 minutes).
    Get a black tank flush kit if you don't already have one.
    If you can access your sewer clean out at home, you can dump there.
    Install a trailer hitch on the back bumper so you can use a bike rack.
    Get a Honda generator.
    Check your roof, window and door seams every fall.

Have fun, nice trailer.

7. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

Congrats on your new camper; looks real nice.

JMO, pickup bed camping may be more practical for those having the good fortune of living smack dab in the middle of some of the prettiest wilderness & better climates in North America.

Covid has driven folks to the great outdoors like nothing else in recent history; statistics bear that out as well as a demand for gear, campers, RVs etc; prices UP & availability DOWN. You may be lucky to've found a deal.

All good suggestions; y'all be cautious, prepared, safe & make lotsa great memories.

-add-
    ensure it has working/new Quality smoke/fire/CO detector-alarms.

8. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

All awesome suggestions thanks guys! I like the idea as gross as it is of the clear poop pipe elbow.
    What exactly is a “poop caddy”?

what is the best sealant for the roof?

I want to add the hitch to the bumper but the manual claims it’s only good for 100lbs and the spare tire is already mounted on there so not to add anything more to it. However, I think I will move the spare to the front and tuck it under the “A” of the hitch frame. At the same time I’m going to add a second deep cycle batt, and a couple solar chargers to help keep us from relying on finding spots with all hookups.

9. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Looks something like this, If you're on a camp site without sewer hookup, you would empty your holding tank into this and then tow this "caddy" and empty it at the dump station.

I don't know if it was suggested already but installing a winterizing kit is always a good idea if your camper do not have one yet. BTW nice camper... Congrats!
    Best-Portable-Waste-Tank-2018.jpg

10. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

You will want to put levels on it if the previous owner hasn’t already. I used stainless screws and a little construction adhesive behind them.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F62M6BG/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glt_fabc_QNAS0N53BV1XV27YK85A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    I
    used these from amazon.
    I also use these leveling blocks. One block is one degree on the level. Very handy when setting up. Also don’t open your slide out unless the camper is level. I also installed a battery shutoff switch for when not in use. My truck is also wired to charge the battery when traveling.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072VSBLH7/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glt_fabc_95T8CXH65A9TM7CQEQR1