Can a ZZ4 pass the CA smog test?

Discussion in 'California 2nd Genners' started by BayAreaCamaro, Mar 2, 2010.

1. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

:) I work for Pep Boys APD (over 2 yrs), Commercial Sales back up to the CSM. (CSA). Dude, how can you work all over the store like that!?
    Sorry to go off topic

2. BayAreaCamaro

BayAreaCamaro Member

Yep, I was aware of the lack of the crossover port even though the intake has an EGR mount. From what I understand, the EGR's sole responsibility is to reduce NOx emissions. NOx is directly related to combustion chamber temperature. The higher the temps, the higher the NOx levels. Am I right? If so, can I just run a higher octane fuel and retard the timing a bit to lower the NOx and make it pass? As for the EGR valve, I'll just mount one to the intake and make it appear I have a EGR to pass the visual. :brightide I'll do the same for the EFE.....have it mounted (including vacuum tubes) for the visual but not actually operational.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  3. zbugger

zbugger Veteran Member

Just so you know, if you have a smart tech checking the components, an EGR can be tested manually. If it fails that test, you fail. And yes, I was trained as a smog tech. Some things have changed, and I haven't been keeping up with them for the last couple years, but I remember most of what I learned.

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

+1^ There is your answer!

If the inspector does their job properly by the book, they will check for the correct operation of the valves and if by the manual testing procedure it does not work, they have to fail it...

5. noobwrench

noobwrench Veteran Member

0562 just got their commercial program back. I was hired as a replacement for the RSM who was on long term disability, shes back, but im still doing her job, and the jobs of several others. We only have 2 service advisers so I end up working service phones alot, and helping the express service techs when they get backed up. Also put together and sell those motorcycles. The store manager has me help him with hiring, as ive been 4/4 for the hires since I work there.

CSA huh? didnt know that position existed. Our commercial department is pretty bad :( blind leading the blind. And the lack of clear supervision or training is fairly handicapping too.

so you work at 1512? Ive always been curious how big that store is? they have EVERYTHING in stock, gotta be DC sized.

anyways im done proving myself to you guys, yall can go fudge yourselves.

watch the language please. POS

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2010
  6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It may work, but I don't think it would be a reliable pass. If the car is run in the enhanced area (which I think 99% of the state is now under that program) there would not be a functional test for the EGR. I have serious doubts you could get he numbers low enough with out an EGR to blow clean enough for a pass.

Remember anything that looks different is going to get the techs attention. There are serious ramifications for the technician for passing a car that should have failed. If you get a guy that's been around the small block Chevrolet you could get failed. I'd hate to see you spend the money and time to set the car up only to find out you can't get it registered.