Can anyone recognize those crappy shocks?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by ISRcamaro, Oct 13, 2016.

1. ISRcamaro

ISRcamaro Veteran Member

Added pictures.
    No brand name on them.

Attached Files:

2. landpilot

landpilot Member Lifetime Gold Member

The "85983" number is a Gabriel Shock part number but they don't have it listed in their parts catalog anymore.

3. ISRcamaro

ISRcamaro Veteran Member

They look kinda crappy...
    Anyidea what is the thin cable at the rear shock?

Attached Files:

4. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Air line for Air shocks

5. bowtie98607

bowtie98607 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, good old Gabriel Hi jackers! I have a brand new pair still in the box.

6. ISRcamaro

ISRcamaro Veteran Member

If you want you can take mine.
    Going to kick them out on eBay for 20$ lol and get Monroe or Koni instead.

7. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

ANY new shock will probably be leaps and bounds better than those. I run Monroe Sensa tracs on mine. It rides very well. Mine isn't really tailored toward road-course or anything, however, I do have poly bushings in the sway bar and end links up front, solid body bushings and subframe connectors. It handles WAY better than it did stock with the current hardware.

You should be able to tell a big difference with the high dollar shocks that are performance oriented.

ISRcamaro likes this.
  8. ISRcamaro

ISRcamaro Veteran Member

Those were the shocks that came with the car from the seller. Since the car is higher then the original (17" Wheels and shims in springs) I wonder what will be my new shocks, what should I buy and how am I making sure it will fit since I don't know what changes the last owner did. Don't know if he replaced the springs or leafs etc.
    It's kind of problematic since I want to precise and want all to run in symphony.
    I bought a set of poly bushing. Everything except the engine (which I replace the engine mounts with regular new mounts).
    Leafs, control arm, sway bars etc will all be poly.
    The shocks are the only things that stucks me since I don't know if other things were changes like the springs or leafs.

How are the Monroe Sensa traces? I read a lot of bad reviews on them. and some good ones on the other side. I'm no going to build a track\ race car. It's going to be a weekend drive car that will run solid for weekend drives and will be a little fun in corners.
    I thought about to Bilstein or koni but just to make an example. 4 Bilstein shocks that will cost me 320 in the states, will cost me 700$ in my state... Maybe the Konis i can get a little cheaper.
    Btw the monroe the will cost me less then 100$ a set. Will cost me 250$ here.

Attached Files:

9. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Height of a 17" wheel does not change distance from a shock's lower mounting to upper mounting point. Lowering or raising springs heights will affect shock fitment.

Make sure you grease those poly bushing real good with poly specific grease before install, they're know to squeak when dry.

I've always had good luck with Monroe shocks, have them on my pickup truck now. On my Camaro, Monroe Matic 32066/32112 worked real good for me with new rubber bushings. I just checked their website and it doesn't look like they carry the sena-tracks any more for our 2nd gen Camaros. They do have a premium oem replacement (5801/5831) with life time replacement. Rockauto.com has them for $21.99/$21.79 ea, but shipping may be a deal killer. I'm not certain which shock works best with poly, some guys here that run that bushing should chime in later. My current setup is delrin bushings and Koni shocks, doubt I'll ever change that.

Nice looking ride you have, looks like you have a grip on the ins and outs with rebuilds. Keep asking the questions and good luck with this project. :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  10. ISRcamaro

ISRcamaro Veteran Member

I know the 17" won't effect distance from shock mounts but there are shims inside the springs too as seen in the picture I added.

Don't worry. Buckets of grease over here ahah!

I just double checked and you right. The Monroe that been offer to me here are the 5801/5831. Here it will cost 250$ so the shipping isn't that a killer ahah

I will check for the poly bushing. I heard they are better then the original. As i said. In replacing them all except for the engine mounts that i think i will remain with the original material.
    The koni are much more expensive here and I'm still trying to figure out what measurements ill need cause of the shims and not sure if there's anything dont to the leafs.

What do you mean by having a grip on the ins and outs? Lol

Thank you! Most say your are really helpful! Will try to add picture each massage according the subject.

Attached Files: