Can someone steer me toward one of these brake kits?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Lgarretto, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Lgarretto

Lgarretto New Member

Hi guys. Well I am finally gunna start working on my camaro. It's a 79 z28. As of right now my front passenger brake works. None of the others do. I want to convert the rear to disc and just get all new stuff up front. I am debating between the right stuff disc brake kit plus 2 which have 11" rotors and single piston calipers all round, or the right stuff rear disc conversion (same specs) and a conversion to c5 corvette stuff with a kit from cpp up front. Other than having to switch to 17 inch plus rims with the corvette kit (which I don't think look all that good, i think 15s look best) can someone give any input to either kit?

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

You want the brake upgrade for function (performance braking) or for looks? If you plan on some road course type driving, the bigger brakes are nearly a must have...which will require the bigger wheels (as you know).

It took a while for 17" and bigger wheels on a 2nd Gen to grow on me too, but I got to see so many people converting to bigger wheels and now nothing smaller even looks right any more. I have 17" Torque Thrust II's on mine now and they really set it off.

3. Lgarretto

Lgarretto New Member

I don't know that I'll ever really do any track racing. I'm not really into drag racing and there isn't much track stuff here in Oklahoma.
    I am leaving toward the bigger brakes because the bigger kit is pretty much what comes on normal passenger cars anymore. But at 400 bucks more for the kit and needing larger wheels and subsequently also new tires to go with it makes it am expensive choice. Not that I won't do all that eventually anyway, but it ends up being a difference of maybe 800 bucks now for the smaller brakes vs something like 2000 for the bigger kit when you add wheels. I may do more with the car but I am mostly asking from the perspective of shall we say "highly spirited Street driving"

4. Lgarretto

Lgarretto New Member

Also since the bigger kit I am looking at uses corvette stuff, including new spindles, should I expect that to have much of an effect on my choices for suspension later on? A bit preemptive maybe but good to know
    Thanks.

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Just tossing this out there, if your going to stick with 15 inch rims/tires, maybe give a look at a top quality OEM styled rotor, D52 calipers from Wilwood, and HP pads from Wilwood/Hawk/EBc along with good fluid and braided flex lines. You may be surprised at the braking performance, and the fact you will be tire-grip limited at that point.

And you would not have to buy aftermarket spindles.

dcozzi and dave@ztech like this.
  6. Lgarretto

Lgarretto New Member

That is a good thought. I believe I read that something like a 12" rotor can be used with 15" rims. Maybe it was only 11". I'll have to check into that. But I didn't know about the d52 caliper. That would at least give me a two piston.
    I don't plan to keep the stock rims forever anyway, it's more about the size itself and initial costs. My car needs an awful lot more than just brakes anyway haha. And admittedly I need to pull a wheel and see how my spindles are anyway. At the moment my shocks are empty tubes and the bushings in the control arms don't exist. I may need new spindles regardless.

7. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

For spirited driving, a new set of stock calipers, hawk pads, rotors up front and ditto for back but with drums.
    Do those kits include master cylinder/booster/prop valve?
    You mention only 1 out of 3 wheels have stopping or function. I'd change out the 40yr ole brake lines.

8. Lgarretto

Lgarretto New Member

Yeah. I will be buying a new master cylinder and everything along with at least blasting all the gunk out of the hard lines and replacing all the flex lines no matter what I do. So I wasn't counting that.
    Will a 13" rotor be a big step up from an 11.5 or whatever stock is? If not I may go with those d52 calipers. Looks like summit has a set for 380 with pads. Add flex lines and rotors and the front is good. Single pistons should be fine in the rear. There's a kit for that for 300 with pads and everything. Although I do want disc rear. Not drums. I don't like messing with drums. They are a pain in the booty in my opinion.

9. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'll start off by saying: CPP is garbage and I wouldn't use their stuff on any application
    There are several options for a brake upgrade and most will require a minimum 17" wheel

There is a conversion using B-Body spindles and a 12" rotor which is will detailed below. This will clear a lot of 15" wheels. but not all.
    https://nastyz28.com/threads/1le-front-disc-upgrade.109707/

Here is a link to a guide to a low-budget Rear Disc swap as well
    https://nastyz28.com/threads/s10-blazer-rear-disc-conversion.109454/

Something to bear in mind: Tires are going to make a bigger difference in braking than anything. Tires have come a VERY long ways in the last 20 years. Modern tires are an order of magnitude better than anything made even in the 1990's.
    There is a VERY limited selection of real performance 15" street tires available at this point (pretty much none). Most are station-wagon tires with 30+-year-old designs (Dunlop GT Qualifier, BFG Radial TA, Cooper Cobra) that weren't that good when they were new.

Going to a 18 or 19" wheel is going to not only provide you with more room for a larger rotor, but also modern tire designs.

carr911 and Rayden2009 like this.
  10. 70Znut

70Znut Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In fact that's pretty much what I run on the track, this allows 15" Hoosiers on the track and 17" street and autocross. On the rear I used the Right Stuff caliper kit. Hawk pads all the way around and stock sized StopTech Slotted Cryogenic front rotors.

G72Zed likes this.