can vats be removed?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by purpleflame, Mar 15, 2011.

1. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

I need to remove it or bypass it would love to go the remove it out of the programing, is this possible or does it need bypassed first to be able to remove it from the program.

2. 77LT1

77LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. 383Camaro79

383Camaro79 Veteran Member

yes it can easily be turned off via programming.

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I worked on these cars for years at Pontiac, If you bypass the key make sure you use a resistor that has the RIGHT value, If you do not you run the risk of the car not starting when the temp outside changes. We used to have these aftermarket co. put in auto starts, The the car would come in cold on the hood. I would then disable the auto start, plug the vats back in and the car would start right up.

5. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Many owners have been forced to do this on their daily drivers when the VATS
    fails, its not hard, just need the key and an OHM meter.

Tom

6. lnsper

lnsper Veteran Member

7. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

I would suggest this method of disabling the VAT. While tuning can disable it, I suspect many tuners will change a "Fair" price for it, perhaps even $100. Also when it comes to measuring the key resistor, I understand it has a 5% or 10% tolerance. Radio shack sells resistors for about 50 cents, you may need to put two in series to get the value needed.

8. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It costs $40 for a memcal adapter, and $8 for a blank chip so that is half the cost, assuming it's a 165 or 730 ecm that takes a memcal. The TBI ecm's just take a chip, which is cheaper.

On a real vats car, disabling vats in the ECM will turn the fuel injectors on but the car still won't start. The passkey module also controls the starter relay which is in the left kick panel. You cannot bypass the passkey module by programming, you must either use the resistor, or simply unplug it and bypass the starter relay by splicing the fat purple wires together.

-- Joe