Can't account for this part of harness

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Adams, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Adams

Adams Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

From Motown (still in the blood), live in Houston
    1971 Z28 MT with console.
    I think this off-shoot of the under dash harness goes to the console but I am not sure what it plugs into? I looked on all of the various wiring diagrams and don't see any plug with these color wires? Can someone post a diagram that shows what it goes to?
    Thanks Console wiring 1.jpg Console wiring 3.jpg

2. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

I’m not exactly sure but last time I was into my 71 automatic console I think the multi pin connector goes to the shift lever for neutral safety switch and reverse lights. The two pin connector looks like my aft console light.

3. 1970Camaro

1970Camaro Veteran Member

agreed

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

You can tell its ignition related with those heavy gauge purple wires. The orange and white connector is likely a light (brake light?). Is this your factory harness or a painless etc.? Its been a hot minute...But does this plug into the column? The other colors look like you blinker light wires.

5. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Purple wires are for the neutral safety switch. Pink and green are for the backup lights. Orange and white pigtail I believe is for the light in the tail end of the console, it comes on when the doors are opened. The orange wire is hot all the time and is grounded to activate the lite when you open the door. You can check it with a test light. There should be a harness that plugs into the one you are holding and runs inside the console.

Adams likes this.