can't believe how many of the class of 2011 is joining the military

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by muscl car, May 31, 2011.

1. barno68

barno68 Member Gold Member

I am the ROTC recruiter for UC Berkeley and the interest in our program this year has been crazy. I think it is partly due to the job market prospects after graduation and also the rising tuition costs at most state schools. I am getting tired of having the same talk with the kids about a scholarship not being a good primary reason for wanting to serve...

2. Alex71RS

Alex71RS Veteran Member

In this economy, the military is the best thing going for a recent high school grad. You get trained, you get fed and housed, and you get paid. Can't beat that.

It was the best decision I ever made. When I graduated in '81, there were very few guys in my class enlisting in the military. My buddies thought I was nuts. Left home at 17 and never looked back.......

3. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The TV is flooded with those great ARMY commercials! LT. Dan talking in the background...it makes a lot of kids want to join.

They pick the Army over Marines because kids are softer these days; they don't want the perceived hassle.

And the smart ones go into the USAF! :D

4. THOMAS81Z

THOMAS81Z Veteran Member

YOU MEAN 11B
    AKA BULLET SPONGE :p

5. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

better than being a sitting duck on a boat with nowhere to go when it gets shot out from under you...;) :innocent: :cool:

6. Buckneccid

Buckneccid Veteran Member

It kinda irritates me to see these people being called not so smart, etc, just because they are joining the Army. If you check the requirements, you may be surprised, they don't generally accept uneducated, unintelligent people. And just because someone picks a Combat arms MOS also doesn't mean they are stupid. Some of the smartest people I know hail from the military, some of our greatest leaders also chose that path. I know I won't change minds with a simple post, I just wanted to get it out there that just because someone makes a choice you wouldn't make or think is the wrong choice, it doesn't mean they are stupid.

7. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like you bit on the line, bucco! :D

None of us military types hate the other services...or the people who join them!

8. JOHNNYMO

JOHNNYMO Veteran Member

I tried talking my son into resigning with the Corps, but hes had enough. He cant stand the general incompetence of the command. Thats his greatest beef about the whole system. Hes been in almost 5 years and hes earned $80k for college with the GI bill. Theres also money for him with the Post 911 bill. He will also be paid for housing and expense allowance for living away from home and attending school.

He says he wants to go the medical route and possibly become an RN and later maybe a PA. I cant argue wuth that. With the boomers all getting up there in age, the medical field has a bright future.

9. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

Oh I don't know about that. My uncle is old school Marine and he always said, "what do you get back when you send 100 sailors into battle?"
    50 couples...

He still rags on my other uncle for going "soft" :D
    It's pretty funny to hear them go at it.

10. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Veteran Member

they need to stop joining the army! half of the signal MOSs are required to reclass because too many people are coming in!