can't believe how many of the class of 2011 is joining the military

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by muscl car, May 31, 2011.

1. THOMAS81Z

THOMAS81Z Veteran Member

yea dont worry i can bust balls cause i was in the army lol not a bullet sponge thou ;)

2. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i dont have much to say, i have had good and bad times, some i dont ever want to talk about again, and some im really proud about. it varies person to person i guess. i did my time, getting out. saluting everyone before and after me serving. im pretty content with the soldiers ive trained up for this new deployment. they leave in afew months and i hope they have enough training, they have more than i did when i deployed. so they will be kicking some serious ass no doubt.

3. dlwzrkj

dlwzrkj Veteran Member

Father graduated from USNA in '60 had a roommate who was the only Caucasian on a boat on a Vietnam river for his entire tour. His area got Napalmed twice I will tell you knowing what I know of war. I salute all veterans and the suffering they go through.

4. Chiefs75

Chiefs75 Veteran Member

Given the economy today if you lay out the basics, the militarys a pretty good option. Not sure what the other services offer but these are a couple of things I can think of on the Army side.

1. Decent starting pay, not great starting off of but you can live off of it to start- thats just base pay. If your single you can eat at the DFAC on post for free, not to mention free room as well. If you have dependents, BAH and BAS, to cover housing and food. Again, you wont get rich off that money but you wont be living in a van down by the river either.

2. Free medical and dental ( dental costs a small ammount for the family members)

3. GI Bill, great way to pay for college.

4. E Army U, basically go to school for free online. if you do your research and choose a good school, you could knock out at least a couple of years of school between that and then the CLEP test which are free a well to Active Duty. I got both my Associates and Bachelors this way, working on my Masters soon.

5. TSP - Like a 401K, only thing that sucks about that is that the GOV doenst match your contributions, however since the GOV will give you a retirement check should you stick around for 20, its a good start on retirement planning if your forward thinking, alot of 19 year olds arent but Ive met a couple that are 19-20 and are sticking money into a TSP account, do that and your retirement check at the end of your carrer and your alot better off than some, again you have the cash to hang out with Donald Trump but youll be ok.

6. FTA-Fun Travel and Adventure- Depending on your luck and a little help from your branch manager, you could get to some interesting places. Im a dumb farm kid from South Dakota, Ive been to Germany, France, Italy, Chec Republic, Hawaii, Korea. The not so fun places, Iraq, Afghanistan, Hugary, Bosnia, Nicaragua. But still thats a bit more than any of the guys I graduated HS with.

7. Promotion opportunity. Opportunity for advancement once you figure out how the Military works. I spent 10 years enlisted, then switched to Warrant Officer, best move I ever made in the Army. I started out as a PFC in the SD ARNG, now after 16 years on AD, Im a Cheif Warrant Officer 3 and I love it.

8. Life Insurance, not that it does you any good but at least the family gets some help if you end up on the wrong side of the dirt.

I can list a few of the negatives, missing out on some family time, travel to the not so fun places, long hours, deployments can be dangerous. etc, but the positives outwiegh the other stuff.

Anyways, thats my .02 cents worth.

5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^^Good post! :D

The 20 years I spent in the USAF brought me close to many, many very smart people...some I know I would never have met had I stayed in Daytona Beach all of my life.