Car care??????

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by DBS, Oct 31, 2018.

1. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

How do y'all wash and clean your rides without getting swirl marks and scratches in your paint? I quit washing my daily years ago but would like to keep my camaro a little cleaner. It's yellow so I know it want show swirls like a dark color but want to keep paint in best shape I can.

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

#1, don't buy any old basic car wash brush from a parts store. I've only seen 1 car wash brush that would not swirl a dark car. It is distributed by A.I.M. Products...who make and sell a wide variety of professional automotive finish products. One of the local automotive paint/body supply stores sells them here.

#2, when you do get a good brush, continuously dip it in the soap bucket to clean dirt off the bristles while you're washing.

Some people prefer a wool mit. Some people prefer a sponge. Some even prefer a rag. I prefer a "good" brush.

3. MIDNIGHTBLUE

MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

I use a nice mitt with a debris grill at the bottom of my buckets. I use two buckets, one with soapy water and one with clean water. I dip the mitt in the soapy water, start on the roof do a quarter to a half, rinse in the clean, dip into the soapy bucket and continue. My goal is to NOT put in debris and grit in the soapy water, to only scratch the paint surface. I do the whole car that way. Then I use my pressure washer and rinse. Then I break out the electric leaf blower, blow it dry and use micro fiber to dry the small areas missed by the blower.

If I do have cobweb swirls like on mammas car (cheap gas station car washes) I clay bar, polishing compound with a R.O.B., wax.

4. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I rarely wash my car, I use spray detailer and Microfiber cloths...

5. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ummmmmmm, I thought the wax or what ever they car car polish these days , was supposed to protect the finish !! When I bought a BMW new in 97 , Cosmos Black, and I saw it in the sun with the cobweb looking swirells in it at the dealership they said that was the look that came with an excellent paint finish !! HAA HA

6. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

I just use a damp towel to clean it then towel dry then wax.

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Have had several black cars over the years, they really show the scratching and swirls. I use a dedicated wash mitt on that car only. Rinse and rinse before washing. Wash sides first in long horizontal strokes with lots of soap suds. Wash lower bottom of car with a different mitt if it's really dirty. A really good clear coat finish doesn't ever get actually waxed. I use some Turtle Wax spray detailing stuff, spray on while still wet and use a clean (fake) chamois to dry.

8. EVILFACE

EVILFACE Veteran Member

Use two buckets. One for soapy water the other for rinsing the mitt off after using it on car each time.

Mostly dry the car off with a leaf blower. Then a nice quality microfiber cloth to get the rest of the areas.

9. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

never use a Brush. Use the two bucket methods with a grit guard in each bucket. Microfiber.

then to get a good finish - Clay Bar, wash again, then Paint sealant