Car cover recommendation?

Allison Winn

Veteran Member
Jan 10, 2021
I am in the market for 3 (yes 3) car covers. Long story, but my better half decided to surprise me and wash all my car covers. Needless to say they didn't do well in the commercial dryer, and are no longer car covers.......

So I need 3 indoor only covers. These things have climbed into the stratosphere on cost lately - is there something light duty and affordable, but still good fit? Looking for first hand recommendations. I'd prefer tan with a soft flannel inside. Dont want to spend over $200 each though

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
For indoor use... You can use a thin clear plastic car cover to keep dust off.

Seeing the car through the cover prevents people from setting boxes and things on it.

Allison Winn

Veteran Member
Jan 10, 2021
Inline Tube - they show you 1 pic of the product and then a dozen pics of their happy workers ;)

Thanks but looking for more of a long term cover. OER shows one for second gen Camaros in the $150 ish range - anybody have one of theirs?

mrfleet12

Veteran Member
Aug 8, 2014
West of Chicago IL
Not sure if they still make them, think they were bought by someone. I've been using a nice Wolf cover on my cars. Got it for my 69 Chevelle and have used it on my Camaros and a Nova. Doesn't fit the others perfectly but does what it's intended to do.

BillyDean7173

Final Six
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
I would do a search on this site for car covers. The topic has been discussed many times. You'll probably see some pics as well regarding fitment of our 2nd gens.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
These are reasonably priced fabric covers.
Several diffent styles depending upon what you need.

I have a California Car Cover that I bought when I had to store my Camaro outside one year.
I haven't used it in years because the car is now in a garage.

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
If it's just for indoor use, I've had good luck with Budge car covers. I "think" I have the $80 version, but they have some starting around $30. I just looked at mine, thought I could get a number off it, but it only says #4, and I think that's the size. I has an elastic band all the way around, so if you put it on after a detail job, you'll need patience and ingenuity.

8pack

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 29, 2007
Western, MA
For indoor use... You can use a thin clear plastic car cover to keep dust off.

Seeing the car through the cover prevents people from setting boxes and things on it.
Not the best solution fir a garage with an unsealed concrete floor. If the garage is fully climate controlled, and there is constant air movement you are probably OK with plastic. But otherwise it traps moisture and all sorts of stuff will start to rust, oxidize or mold.

Ideally you need something breathable.

If you don’t want spider webbing or fine scratches from taking the cover on and off use one of the ceramic spray on paint sealers like Car pro Reload. It will offer some protection that plain wax won’t and if the cars don’t see much road time will last quite a long time.

For a more permanent solution use the ceramic paint sealers like car pro UK. You need to do a full paint correction before you apply it or you lock in the spider webbing and swirl marks but once applied it lasts a couole of years with regular daily use and waterless car washes. I have a post on it somewhere. I had a Maserati that I used it on and after three years it was swirl and spider web free including regular winter driving.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
It’s a balance and depends on the environment.

My California Cover was breathable and the car was outdoors.
It allowed water through it, both ways, unfortunately.

Pollen washed through it and made a yellow mess under the cover.

It would work well for long term indoor protection but it’s bulky and kind of a pain to use when you want to drive the car.

Those plastic sheets are more for temporary use.

Like… when you are sanding or painting in the garage.

Latest posts