Car Insurance Time

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

if you gave the insurer your SS then they did more than likely check your credit score.

Not all car insurance companies ask you for your Social Security number (SSN) as part of the quoting or application process, but most will. Your Social Security number doesn't have anything to do with your driving record, but it does help the insurer pull the reports that help determine your rates

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

I moved 3 times in the same county. No more that 10 miles apart. Each time the rate changed. Here, the insurance companies have territories, which are based on (among other things) accidents per capita. I would never drop comp on our cars, even the old ones. It's cheap and covers a lot. Theft, fire, glass, vandalism, animals and birds. Two years ago Easter morning, my dog chased a guy on our property and he jumped up on the hood and roof of my CRV. Comp paid for that.

dave@ztech likes this.
  3. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

I've been doing some quotes and Progressive is the best, by far. For my 2010 (liability only) and full coverage on the 2017. Approximately $1200 annually. Anyone use Progressive?

4. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cant speak for cars, but I have motorcycle ins through progressive, no issues here. I do like for at least motorcycles anwayy, if I pay all at once, 1 year payment vs monthly, its like a 20% discount.

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Seems like insurance on newer vehicles is absurd. Back in the day you hit something, new bumper and fender, some paint, good as new. Today, same hit, front of car is destroyed (crash zones) and a couple thousand dollars in air bags. $1200 a year for those Hondas seems like highway robbery, but I guess that's the going rate. Our new Tahoe is right at $1300 a year by itself and I'm in shock.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I pay for my car insurance every 6 months. I wanted to do it yearly, but my insurance company didn't offer it that way. By paying twice a year, I get a discount vs monthly.

7. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

That's what Progressive does. Presently, I'm being charged $800 for liability on the 2010 through GEICO. Progressive? $525. I will switch

8. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Seems like I remember that insurance on Honda cars were a littler higher simply due to them being high on the list of most stolen
    vehicles....like year after year.

9. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Correct. Civic first, Accord 2nd. That's why I take a look at the Accord every time I hear a noise at the apartment complex I live in here in Daytona..............

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  10. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I actually look for companies that use credit scores in the rating process. It helps me save money on my insurance. There is a documented correlation to the credit score/claims situation, which is why they use it.

I'm more interested in the quality of the service and the financial stability of an insurance company. Inexpensive is great, but sometimes you get what you pay for... I will consider companies with a "A" rating or higher from AM Best.

I routinely shop my HO, Auto and Umbrella policies prior to renewal at least every other year. This year I selected Amica and USAA as the companies to check with vs. my current carrier.

Amica was within 10-15% of of what I was paying on my 3 policy package. Too high for me to switch, but at least competitive.

I've heard great things about USAA. I used them to get an additional $750 rebate on a new car purchase in 2014 and decided to use their 1.39% financing of that car (I was going to pay cash, but I was making much more than 1.39% on my money). But despite their TV ads claiming how much they save their customers - they were just not competitive for me in MN again this time.

USAA was $600.00 high on just the auto insurance to start with, but I went ahead and had them quote my homeowners because I was interested in the package price - not the individual policy price. They were $1200 high on my homeowners policy - so I didn't even let them quote my umbrella as they were already $1800 higher and my current umbrella price is only $327, so even if they gave me the umbrella for free they would have been $1500 high.

The Amica quote process was very pleasant. I was disappointed with the process with USAA this time - it took way to long and the rep I worked with just didn't represent the company well.

I spent 10 years of my life in commercial insurance sales. I understand the process, products and the terminology quite well.