Car Insurance Time

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Sep 14, 2019.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Yep they The insurance company that I was getting a quote from required me to pay for an inspection. They sent a guy that counted the nails in my roof tie downs the water heater which a had to replace even though it was not leaking. And take pic's of everything. The bathroom was about 20% done. The tub not installed or anything else just new pipes and sheet rock along with durarock. Another company sent their own inspector at their cost. Both said I had to finish the Bathroom. Which I have at this point. I am regrouping to start the battle again. My house was built in 1965. So I did a pipe over B/C the galvanized pipes were about to bust. The day I transitioned to the new water service inlet I went to go cut the original 1 inch pipe. I dug down a little then leaned on it for a second. Snap, it busted off. I have seen many of my Neighbors get slab leaks. I was trying to beat that.

2. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

USAA sent a team twice to my house, took like an hour, went through every room, measured everything, annotated everything from wood to tile to carpet percentages among house, grades of build materials, granite, countertops, etc. My insurance went up about 5% but now if my house did get destroyed, id get all the right stuff and not cheapo materials. Took pictures of everything.

With the like 18 tornados that hit Ohio last month, I appreciated them being accurate, the tornados stopped 1 block away from my house. Whole houses / areas leveled.

They did it twice because the insurance adjuster called me and asked a few questions stating whoever did the first inspection missed things, and I didn't know how to answer them. So sent another surveyor inspector on their dime both times. I asked how much it cost, they said something like 100-200 per inspection request/order.

Surprised they didn't ask anything from me.

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I don't think you should have been surprised that they didn't bill you for something they wanted.

I've never heard of someone being charged for an insurance inspection. I surely wouldn't do business with any company that wanted me to pay for an inspection that they wanted.

4. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is true, I guess what I meant was, because I was unable to answer questions that was pretty simple when she offered to have a different inspector come out I was perfectly ok with that. So I could of technically answered their questions but would rather a pro do it.

I will say this though, I purchased my house like 3 coming up 4 years ago. and I have not had a single thing go wrong, even the backup generator I do the oil once a year and everything just works. Been really fortunate in that regard.

Edit- side note. I just got my renewal for another year few days ago was an increase of 10 dollars (I pay 1100 a year) the lady I spoke too I asked about the devastation to my neighborhood and if I should expect a increase next year, she said its too soon to tell. Depends how many USAA homes was destroyed if any.

5. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

That's great that for all intents and purposes that your renewal is the same as last year (.0091% increase).

I'd love to have an $1100 homeowners policy, but comparing prices unless your homes are similarly valued and in the same neighborhood is pointless.

Rates for all companies change all the time. I remember back in 2010, after severe hurricane losses in Florida in 2009, State Farm actually canceled 125,000 homeowners policies (of their 714,000 customers in FL) that were located in hurricane prone areas. They did this right in the middle of hurricane season after the state of FL rejected their request for a 47% rate increase.

Many people don't realize that all insurance rates are approved by the individual state. That's why you can't compare pricing across state lines.

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Well I live in Tornado alley of wisconsin. Homeowners insurance is about 560 a year it's built into the mortgage 1900 square foot home. Camaro rate is just a hair over 50 bucks every 3 months. 32 grand truck is 69 a month. sure there is geographically or profiled rates being done by the insurance company's. Not buying a good credit rating person paying twice this.