Car Is Running Rich...msd Ignition?

GOLF72

Veteran Member
Jan 11, 2010
CORONA, CA
I Have A 350, With Aluminum 202 Heads And I Am Running A Quick Fuel 650 Carb. Initially I Had A 750 And It Was Just Too Much And Running Very Rich. I Put A 650 Carb On It And It Keeps Fouling Out The Plugs.

If I Put An Msd Ignition System Do You Think That Would Help Solve The Problem. I Am Thinking If It Is Getting 3 Sparks Instead Of 1, It Would Be Burning Up The Fuel At Ignition.

Help, I Am Sick And Tired Of The Car Running Like Crap. Thanks

Stroked72SS

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 26, 2005
Bryan, Texas
You need to get the jetting right, and adjust the Idle air bleeds a little bigger or idle feed restrictions in the metering blocks a size or 2 smaller...

MSD is a great upgrade, especially if you're still running points..however, I don't think that's where you are going to find most of the problem to be..

just my .02

GOLF72

Veteran Member
Jan 11, 2010
CORONA, CA
Stroked 72ss
Thanks My Friend... I Will Go Play With That Damn Carb Some More. It Soooooo Annoying When You Have A Great Car And It Runs So Damn Bad. I Am Fairly Certain A Bicycle Can Take Me Off The Line. Lol

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
recheck the timing should be a minimum of 14deg BTDC for a perf built motor and have 32-34deg @ 3000rpm

check the jetting in the carb make sure it's not jetted to fat

check the power valve make sure it's rated for your application

Stroked72SS

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 26, 2005
Bryan, Texas
muscl car said:
recheck the timing should be a minimum of 14deg BTDC for a perf built motor and have 32-34deg @ 3000rpm

check the jetting in the carb make sure it's not jetted to fat

check the power valve make sure it's rated for your application

+1 on checking the power valve...CHeck your manifold vacuum...operating temp in gear..take the number and cut it in half, and that's the place to start..

example

11in vacuum 5.5 power valve

This being off will enrich the idle circuit almost to the point of flooding out the motor..it takes the fuel circuit up 6-10 jet sizes if it's not being held closed..

Stroked72SS

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 26, 2005
Bryan, Texas
Round fitting in middle of the front metering block...takes a 1" wrench to remove..

Do not over tighten..about 10-15 ft lbs at the most

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
GOLF72 said:
MUSCLE CAR,
WHAT IS THE POWER VALVE? Is that the valve in the carb?
just like stroked72ss described it's a round shaped valve found on the primary metering block and enriches the idle circuit and if this is the wrong size or has blown from a backfire it'll cause an over rich condition

holley power valve :

hly-125-45_w.jpg

GOLF72

Veteran Member
Jan 11, 2010
CORONA, CA
Damn, you guys are good. All good now. Muchas gracias. Now to change the plugs. I have to get mentally prepared for it. Damn 3 and 5 plugs are a pain in the you know what.

hhott71

R.I.P 11/19/18
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 30, 2001
Joplin Mo. 64801
You need to do some basic learning first.

Start with
How to Hot Rod a SBC
Then get
How to Tune Holley Carbs
Then look in to other HOW TO books

HP Books, David Visard and many others that are on the shelf at Hastings, Barnes & Noble, Book-a-Million etc.

Latest posts