Car stereos, whos stuff is decent these days?

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
Well the clarion head unit in my daily driver 98 k1500 is going out, the FM tuner only works for the first few minutes after startup and then goes silent. So I have to put something in it and thinking it would be nice to upgrade to something with Android Auto like my 17 Sierra has for all the phone controls and apps. Problem is I havent bought a head unit in probably 20 years... Pioneer, Kenwood, and Sony I assume are still decent but there are a lot of brands out there I have never heard of. Also wouldnt mind putting a small powered sub under the back seat to give it a little bass, I dont need something to rattle windows any more though. lol

Da_Raabi

Veteran Member
Jan 19, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
I put this Pioneer unit in our 2006 Suburban a few years ago using a Crutchfield install kit. It was pretty easy, and I really like the interface and the sound is great with some cheap speakers. The install kit really helped with the electrical. Steering wheel controls, aftermarket backup camera etc. I want to get another for the Camaro (plan to to put it where the old dash AC vents were).

Pioneer AVHX4800BS

ssupercoolss

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2015
PA
i have always been a fan of Pioneer stuff, but honestly, i feel like even the big name stuff has dropped off significantly.
i put a blaupunk (sp, i know) tuner/bluetooth thing in my '55. it was pretty cheap, and it is pretty cheap. the tuner every once and a while just quits, press a few buttons and she comes back to life, the bluetooth music actually works ok, and i can use it to answer my phone, which is kinda cool. Also, since there is no CD, its just a little bigger than the faceplate itself, and it weighs like 2 ounces.

Jim Streib

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums
Apr 6, 2004
Saint Louis, MO USA
I think the 98 model is a 1.5 DIN opening so to get the newer double DIN radio's to fit some subdash work needs to be done as well as installing a new dash trim panel.

I would stick with radio's from companies like Alpine, Kenwood, Clarion, and Pioneer. These companies have been around for ages and should still be making decent stuff.

Jim

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
In my 2002 Toyota tacoma pre runner I have ....

Pioneer 8400 nex head unit

(2) alpine amps

(4) alpine door speakers

(2) alpine tweeters

Custom made subwoofer enclosure with (2) Pioneer shallow mount 10" subwoofers

Subwoofer volume control ( dash mount)

Yes this 60 yr old like bass thumping heavy metal music

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Here's my car stereo
20210331_105518 (2).jpg

Patstuff28

Veteran Member
Aug 23, 2020
The last decent sounding aftermarket stereo that I had was a Sony Xplod unit with 52 watts per channel, feeding 4 Infinity reference speakers.

Oldman74

Jul 10, 2022
Like anything, most brands have good stuff and cheap stuff, and not much of it is as good as 80s and 90s stuff that came out of Japan.

The problem now is that you almost need to have a digital tuner.

The plus side is apple and android compatibility.