Car stereos, whos stuff is decent these days?

Bikefixr

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 2006
I did this for a living back in the day. I still dabble as a hobby and keep abreast of what's changing. So here's my 2c worth. The market is FLOODED with brands that exist only in legal papers. They buy faceless components out of China and hang their name on it. Some do it better than others. Then there are the players, the ones that are still around after 40 years or more, mainly because they have a good product line, good quality and they have OEM business. For instance, Alpine makes a lot of Chrysler radios. Fujitsu makes a lot of the Japanese market units. So yes, SONY, Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer, Kenwood and others still make a good product. They are harder to differentiate now because everything is on a chip. The entire radio is a single chip. No more moving parts. So I advise getting the head unit that best integrates with your existing equipment such as steering wheel controls and factory amplifiers.

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
I prefer Kenwood stuff, probably because I've never had issues and I'm just more familiar with it.

Same here... in fact the CD player head unit I put in the Camaro in the mid-90s is still going. I bought a couple of used kenwood amps about 10 years ago and they're still going strong too.

I also bought a Kenwood home stereo when I was 18 (31 years ago! Lol...) and it's currently in my garage going strong. I remember the Circuit City guy trying to pressure me into buying the extended warranty.... LMAO

Last edited:

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
Thinking about this pioneer.

Seems double din is really the only option at this point so need to but a dash bezel as well do to it right.

Bikefxr, any recommendations on a small powered sub? Just want something that will fit under the back seat to give it a little bass. I dont need to rattle the neighbors windows anymore. LOL

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
They all seem to be about the same no matter what you buy.. my biggest complaint is WHY ARE THEY ALL SO ULGY.
Give me something simple.. looks simple, and doesn't have all those stupid flashing lights/gloss buttons and crap
*note I am mostly speaking of single din units

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
I want BIG BUTTONS...like OEM so i can actually see them AND touch them with my work gloves on. I recall 1 unit I bought (SONY) the freaking buttons were so small you needed a stylist just to hit 1 button.....like do ya'll realize I am driving a NON computer vehicle, non self steering, non-anyhting.....4 speed race car!!!!! i need chit I can SEE and touch with no glasses wearing boxing gloves....

Last edited:

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
This is my other Pioneer double din 4200 head unit that I had in my truck for a few months before I upgraded to the 8400

0315171857_optimized.jpg

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
I put a Pioneer CD/radio in my truck about 25 years ago. Somebody stole the face plate so I bought a new stereo to get the new plate (whole radio was about the same price as the FP anyway) and figured when the radio took a dump I'd have a slide in replacement. Old radio still going strong. Can't beat Pioneer.

But I'd avoid Walmart sub amps like the plague. Had a couple and they always start popping/thumping in a couple years. Bad caps or the chip is just junk. Go with a good name for that amp, even in a low power deal.

Latest posts