Car Trailer Set Up???

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by riderwestslope, Feb 21, 2021.

1. riderwestslope

riderwestslope Veteran Member

So I've been looking to get a car trailer for a little while. I picked one up yesterday that I feel was a good deal. It's 18 ft with a dovetail. What has everyone found to be the best system to strap a low-slung Camaro down safely? My '81 is quite low, and I hope I'm able to get it up on here without it being a huge ordeal. I'm also looking to put a small winch on the front of the trailer to drag a car up now and then. What size winch would you guys recommend for this? Most anything I haul will probably be in a 3500 pound range, nothing heavier most likely. 20210221_115218.jpg It's about time to start hauling my wife's first gen around to get some work done.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I use 4 of the 3" ratchet straps. Mine are over 30 years old and still holding the car strong.

riderwestslope likes this.
  3. steins70z28

steins70z28 Veteran Member

I had a local hitch shop install a receiver hitch with added bracing to install the winch into sure makes it nice when pulling vehicles up on trailer. I use a ramsey 8000 but have found that the power source is just as important as the winch capacity. A single battery only supplies the minimum power needed and makes for a hard pull to get a vehicle up the ramps even with a dovetail which is what I have. Once its past the ramps of course its a piece of cake. 20210221_163729.jpg

4. La.Z8

La.Z8 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I do like the receiver hitch for the winch! If the car is low, I recommend a set of race ramps. They work great for loading and unloading very low cars.

5. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

weld/bolt on a 2" receiver hitch to the front of the trailer & mount a winch on removable cradle

8000# winch...they're heavy but will pull ANYTHING up...I've dragged many cars with NO wheels/tires on my trailer which is the exact same as yours

plus the winch cradle can be used in any 2" receiver hitch...on a truck or a buddy's trailer

chains around the front subframe to the trailer in front, wide straps around the axle housing in the back

get an aluminum floor jack at HF if you need to jack up the car to access the underside

La.Z8 and riderwestslope like this.
  6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Depends more on what you are planning on hauling...my trailer I bought from a friend, he went waaaaaayyyyyyy overkill on the winch, 15,000lb mounted on a removable plate bolted/unbolted to the trailer. Need 2 people to lift it unless you don’t mind blowing a nut. Thieves will find a way, and I’d rather not have to call reinforcements every time I want to use the trailer. since I don’t haul scrap (or mutilate good cars) like Mav, everything I plan on hauling is either under its own power, or on the very least it’s own wheels so dead pulls dragging a wheelless automotive carcass across my wooden deck being out of the picture, a 2500-5000 lb winch should do the trick just dandy. And I can pickup and move said winch so sticky fingered a holes can’t steal it by myself.

Spend good money on hold downs. Good straps, or binders with chains. make sure the anchor points are f’n solid.
    Doesn’t matter what you can get pulled up onto the trailer if you can’t keep the load secured.

7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

2500-5000 winch will move most anything you WANT...and if it doesn't....throw in a $40 pulley block...and it will ;)
    I like the laso ratchet straps myself and always have a handy dandy 1/2" chain for wheelless stuff.

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

X out your tie downs. That's how I was taught years ago and never had a problem. I do fronts first. put car in neutral after rears are installed. Tighten rears, put car in park or in gear, set E-brake. Leave winch connected and take up any slack.

riderwestslope, Dave Nelson and La.Z8 like this.
  9. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No suggestion when it comes to winch, I have a spot for one on my trailer but I have never picked one up to put on it yet. One of those if I ever find a deal on one things.

As far as straps go I have had great use from my Mac's straps and there customer service is top notch as well. I had to send a couple of mine in for new webbing last year from my own stupidity of strapping over a sharp edge on a tractor implement without padding and they were top notch about it. I also recommend getting a set of there axle straps, it makes finding a spot to hook around much easier.

10. xten

xten Veteran Member

^^^ axle straps are also a great idea. get a hitch with the right drop to keep the trailer level. You'll also find the sweet spot for tongue weight. Couple inches forward/back can make a difference if you're loading the same vehicle a lot. I put tape stripes on the floor if I found a place I thought was comfortable tongue weight.