car turning over without key

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by joer, Jul 4, 2014.

1. joer

joer Veteran Member

Need help. What would cause motor to turn over when I turn on my on- off switch with no key in ignition. Never did it before. My car became possessed.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The lock is worn out if it turns without the key.

3. joer

joer Veteran Member

turns over by it self

Gary when you say lock do you mean ignition lock. After a while of trying different things I turned the steering column and it stopped turning over and I was able to start it with the key.

4. Gary S

I meant that if you can turn the ignition lock without a key in it, it is no longer locking and is bad.
    Your second description sounds like your engine is cranking even with the ignition lock not being moved. If that is the case, and moving the steering column makes a difference, then you have the linkage and switch misadjusted to the ignition lock.

5. joer

joer Veteran Member

I don't have a rod going to the column. When I changed to a 400 trans I took the rod off and tied the column linkage in the up position. That was 15 years ago. Never had a problem till now. If that linkage rod moved would that cause the problem or do you think it could be the on off switch. It's been on there since the mid 80's.

6. Gary S

If the backdrive linkage isn't there and working, the column can turn to the wrong position. That would prevent the ignition from turning to the LOCK position. It would stop in the OFF position, but you should not be able to remove the key. If you can remove the key in the OFF position, something is wrong there.

7. joer

joer Veteran Member

turns over by it self

When I turn it to the off position the key won't come out . When I turn it the other way the key comes out. So that's ok. I just can't figure out why it started to turn over when I turned the on/ off switch on. What powered the starter to kick out the gear and turn over the motor.

8. Gary S

If you turned the on/off switch, it powers the starter to start the car.

9. joer

joer Veteran Member

The switch puts power to the starter. What the problem is, what caused the motor to turn over without the key in the ignition. I hate being flat bedded home.

10. Gary S

The key doesn't power the starter. The ignition switch does. If you can turn the switch, the car will start no matter if the key is in it or not. The key should not come out of the ignition until the ignition is in the LOCK position. If it comes out in the OFF position, it isn't locked and all you have to do is turn the ignition tumbler and the car will start.

If the key comes out of the lock in the OFF position, the lock is worn.