carb boiling

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by lone_anarchist, Nov 3, 2009.

1. lone_anarchist

lone_anarchist Veteran Member

yet again a new problem to the story :( drove it around today to an exhaust shop to get a oxygen sensor bung installed drove it back to my house and installed my gauge. went to start it and was barley able to keep it running held it at a higher rpm to see if it would clear up but nope. was looking at the gauge and was reading a great number of 10.2 - 10.1 lol turned it off looked at the carb and i could hear what sounds to be bubbling looked down the primary side and there is a pool starting up on top of the plate lol. explains its reason for not working quite well :mad: noticed it was spitting the fuel out of the discharge nozzle to. may i put im still yet to see any fuel out of the secondary nozzle yet.

so this is what leads me to think that my fuel is boiling. i also noticed my fuel line is running near the lower rad. hose and the heater lines :crazy: you think this is my problem? this is the longest i have driven it yet.

carb is holley 6210-3
    intake edelbrok performer
    stock fuel pump and fuel system

2. 79Cam->

79Cam-> Veteran Member

i would check the floats first the fuel boiling is very unlikly gas is naturally cold and it would take a lot of heat to to make it boil. also the coolant coming from the lower hose has already gone though the rad and has cooled down. if the primary float is stuck up it may not alow fuel to the secondary take off the fuel bowls hold them upside down and adjust floats until the sit about level reattach and start again

3. lone_anarchist

well i know that the floats are both adjusted. double checked them. the needle and seats are cleaned again. the only problem i found was on the metering block for the secondaries had a plugged section for the accelerator pump to discharge nozzle :p so now i'm putting it back together and going to take another shot at this

4. DAWG

DAWG Veteran Member

get a phenolic carb spacer plate it will take care of you boiling issues

5. lone_anarchist

i seem to only see square bore ones, i need a spread bore

6. lone_anarchist

never mind found it

7. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

common carb boiling issues

Alot of the time the reason the carb fuel boils is due to inadequate air flow under the hood. heat just builds and builds. gas has an extremely low vapor pressure so it doesn't take much to boil it, adding a carb spacer helps but not as much as you would like to see. also check your fuel line and make sure its not running near any exhaust pipes that are preheating the fuel. just a holley bolted to an edelbrock intake shouldnt matter, if anything the aluminum intake runs cooler. back in the day they used to be HOT cast iron with exaust running through the center. but most of the time ive found it to be poor air flow under the hood and fuel lines near hot parts.
    also theres a chance your fuels not boiling but the float is just too high and its spewing out the carb vent, so check that.

8. ezcruisn71

ezcruisn71 Veteran Member

What was it? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  9. lone_anarchist

the spacer. i ordered one through summit
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-108-37/

the fuel line comes out on the side of the float bowl then heads to the direction of the exhaust but its avoided as much as possible. what could cause poor under hood ventilation. and there is no fuel coming out the top vents. never was

10. lone_anarchist

[​IMG]

here is how it goes. except for the brake boost line. ignore that bad idea lol i needed a temp line for brake booster vac till i could hunt down the adapter its now running to the back of the carb

i looked at my jets and kind of confused my secondaries are a 73. the primaries say 209 on them ??? what size is that?? there isnt a jet size holley makes that big and im sure that if it was that big my engine wouldnt be running lol

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009