carb temp issue.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by bigblock665, Sep 28, 2014.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the only way is to get warm heat into the carb is a heat stove set up , this will allow the air drawn into the carb to warmer than the actual air temp it is actually trying to draw into the carb . You can also block off the hood scoop opening as they do make scoop plugs from Moroso and other per companies . This way you are drawing warm air from inside the engine compartment and this will help stop the carb icing

I've seen some people use what is common on motorcycles which is a electronic heating element to the carb or base plate to heat up the air getting into the motor . This is also why you will see on fuel injected motors a coolant line going to the throttle body to heat the incoming air thru the throttle body

not sure what style snorkle scoop you're running but this is mine and is from Unlimited Fiberglass and the air pan is a modified Moroso set up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what i found on my set up is during the winter months i will remove the air pan and just use the air cleaner and my carb icing in not that noticeable ,still there but it's better . during warmer months i will use the air pan set up

2. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I run a tunnel ram that sticks thru my hood and like Chuck says.. Carb icing is a big problem for me...

3. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Would it help to run pcv valve up to the base of the carb to add additional heat?

4. muscl car

that won't do anything !!! , like mentioned this is a problem even for aircraft and they use exh heat to control carb icing on them . All i've ever seen to combat carb icing is these .........

heat stove into air cleaner

electronic heat modules

engine coolant

5. bigblock665

bigblock665 Veteran Member

Yeah I have a snorkel scoop almost like that. With my edelbrock its got a heated choke. May help keep carb warm maybe not. With the choke heat pcv heat and breather tube heat it may create enough heat.. Idk. This is my only drivability issue. Got 400 horse 500 ftlbs torque and daily driven still has heat and controls. When I cap the scoop it almost cures the bog on days down to 50°. Still thinking of a heated carb base plate with veins of coolant through it to warm carb from underneath. Makes up for an air gap or tunnel ram.

6. muscl car

Look into those electronic heat control modules found on bikes !!

7. bigblock665

OK I'll check em out... Was also thinking of a simple way to keep condensation off the carb. Something like divers use on goggles. Two magnets... No moisture no freeze. It works on glass but what about aluminum carb??? Hmmmm something to ponder

8. bigblock665

Cannot seem to locate what your talking about. Comes up with everything but on google

9. muscl car

I searched using "carb heater" and came up with a lot of info

Now if I were you I would just find some fire proof foam and cut to size to fit inside the pizza box opening so you can seal the scoop from getting cold air . Then just rely on warm underhood air temps to feed the carb . You can do this when temps are 50 deg or colder or when humidity is above 50%

10. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member