Carbon Fiber or no?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by phantom69, Feb 15, 2021.

1. phantom69

phantom69 Member

just throwin it out there what are some thoughts on a carbon fiber hood and trunk lid combo on a first gen? with all the "so long as its the same color as the car" arguments are fulfilled

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Waste of money...the panels are very expensive and don’t fit. You gain nothing in your street car unless you are simply going for the look. Expect to spend thousands and still have to body work them to fit.

3. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

This^. Carbon fibre on almost all road cars is a waste of time and money. However, when has that ever been a barrier to doing something we want to do, lol? It's your car, do what you want. But it is only for looks, and maybe only on a "restomod" type car. Also, on most carbon fibre, the beauty of the finish is so fragile, even for a Sunday driver if you're "fastidious".

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

For the street fiberglass and or steel is better .And a whole lot less expensive ,Carbon Fiber is more for race cars ,for weight purposes.

5. badazz81z28

Coming from me who has a DSE catalog Camaro...a $2500 hood that’s not bolt on it outlandish. I would probably do it if they had the cowl vents and didn’t have to body work it to fit right.

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Here's a good test, bolt on 2x 20lbs lead bricks in your engine compartment, like brackets above the upper A tables, cyl. head height, make some passes/runs/laps and look at the time reductions.

This will tell you approximate ROI be it a CF hood or Aluminum heads! Sometimes costs for entry does not make sense. Take the same bricks and bolt them in the rear/trunk, do the same thing, may tell the story of what is needed vs wanted.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Why is the question.

8. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

I completely agree, for a race car, but even then, they're is lots to do for weight reduction first for a much lower cost. I'm not sure the op is looking for the equivalent of that last few horse. For a street car, it's cheaper to lighten the car by driving around with a quarter tank of gas instead of a full tank. It's just looks otherwise. I understood that if you take care of the ounces, the pounds take care of themselves, but back when I was racing motorcycles, it was dead easy to spend hundreds and even thousands on ti and carbon, etc, but at my skill level, it was academic anyway. Four pounds wasn't making the difference. I gained that in a few daysif I wasn't watching my diet!

9. badazz81z28

I will say, a quality CF hood would save you some poundage, but I don’t think the trunk lid is really that heavy, plus you want some weight back there. Gosh a CF trunk lid is $1200!!

10. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

If its made by Anvil its make in China

badazz81z28 likes this.