Carpet/Heat/Sound mat

PalmbchZ28

Veteran Member
Jan 29, 2017
West Palm Beach Fl
I am ready to replace the faded carpet in my 80 Z and was looking for opinions on the hush/heat mat and/or carpet with mass backing. The Dynamat looks really good ...but expensive. I noticed there was a group buy for some 1/4" silver bubble wrap type product...I do not want that as I am very familiar with that product because we use it in the HVAC industry. What is the best option, a combination of hush mat and carpet with mass back ---any fitment issues?
Opinions please
Thanks

larrylarry

Veteran Member
Dec 22, 2011
San Antonio Tx
If your in the HVAC business try cork tape, the black sticky stuff that comes in a roll with foil tape on top of it, this is what I did. PITA to do but it works great.

Carinsulation.com

Veteran Member
NastyZ28 Sponsor
Feb 29, 2004
Coplay PA
Since you mentioned our material, we do not sell plastic bubble wrap like you stated but Home Depot does. Our material has a closed cell polyethylene core, is reinforced on both sides, and is pure aluminum on both sides.

Remember one thing, you aren't going to do anything for heat with a rubber or asphalt based product. A lot of our customers think they need to add a heavy product to get good results but that is not true at all.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us!

I am ready to replace the faded carpet in my 80 Z and was looking for opinions on the hush/heat mat and/or carpet with mass backing. The Dynamat looks really good ...but expensive. I noticed there was a group buy for some 1/4" silver bubble wrap type product...I do not want that as I am very familiar with that product because we use it in the HVAC industry. What is the best option, a combination of hush mat and carpet with mass back ---any fitment issues?
Opinions please
Thanks

PalmbchZ28

Veteran Member
Jan 29, 2017
West Palm Beach Fl
Carinsulation...Our company does not buy our HVAC duct insulation material from home depot.

The " bubble wrap" product ( Reflectix insulation made in Indiana) that has been referred to is very similar but it does has an R rating minimum of 4 and up to 6 depending on installation....HOWEVER we would never use Reflectix product on a car floor. The product is not supposed to come in contact with surfaces over 180 and the product breaks down over time if weight is applied.

Where is your product made? There have been some car interior products recently from overseas that can release unwanted toxins as the material ages.

Polyethylene...the core material of your product is generally considered safe....however in the presence of heat it can leach antimony, a toxic metalloid. Obviously there can be considerable heat involved.

Our other concern is the R rating of 1. How much heat can it reject with such a low rating. What is the assumed temperature reduction? ie: Lizard skin claims 30 degree reduction etc. Does your product have an emittance rating ?

If the product is safe and works we will buy it.....and we have more than 1 vehicle to install a new interior in...so we are interested in a cost effective product. We just want to be sure we are putting good/safe products on our vehicles.

Did any of your customers do a video of floor heat before and after installation?
Thanks Keith

Attachments

• hhhh88.jpg
    hhhh88.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 122

76_TypeLT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
FWIW, I installed Second Skin Audio products and then used ACC carpet with mass backing. That should keep things fairly quiet inside the cabin.