catalytic converters

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by john77, Jul 5, 2010.

1. john77

john77 Member

Ok, I know that catalytic converters are like taboo to high performance engines, but I was wondering if anyone has used any of the high flow converters. I have a 350 horse 350, with headers and a 675cfm holley, I'm not going to be doing any racing, just cruising. I wonder if I used some converters if it would cut down on some of the exhaust fumes. Anyway, dont hate me, I'm just kinda thinking out loud.

2. li0nhart123

li0nhart123 Veteran Member

If you are burning too rich or are burning oil, you will plug the cats. your engine has to be in good shape to use them.

I've seen people remove the cats and have their engines run worse...back pressure, sensors. etc.

In general, they do restrict flow, I wouldn't expect to gain anything by adding them.

3. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I too have been thinking of getting cats. just to pass emmissions. My engine is tuned and not burning oil. Anybody care to elaberate on this issue?

4. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Definitely work on the tune, otherwise the converter will get plugged up. If it is tuned right, the fumes shouldn't be bad at all.

5. john77

john77 Member

the engine runs great at wot and idles great, its just at idle after sitting still for a while you can smell exhaust fumes some, not bad but more than a modern car with cats. What would be the best way to tune the carb, maybe a a/f ratio monitor or what?

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I'm running hi-flow cats on my car. Had them on for about 7 years now.

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

The newer cats have a ceramic block with a million or so holes and the catalyst material seems to be small flakes embedded in it. I don't know for sure but I suspect these are pretty tolerant of rich mixtures unlike the older factory style converters. Be worth a try. But be careful of the placement of the converter, they get really hot and can cause big trouble if too close to the floor.