Center dash speaker mount and year models???

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Popper, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Popper

Popper Veteran Member

Does anyone know if the center dash speaker mount is the same for all 2nd gens? My car does not have a speaker or a mount however i can get one from a fellow member that has one from a 70, my year model is a 79.

I got the itch to redo my stereo after reading some posts. I am doing away with door speakers and relocating them to some kick panels either pre-made of i'll make them myself. I would like to do some center fill with the dash speaker location.

Attached Files:

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 80 had a round speaker magnet and the bracket looked a little different. (The magnet clips into the bracket.)
    But I think that was a change just for 80-81 models. They also used an aluminum bracket, IIRC.
    70-79 model speakers used a rectangular magnet and a steel bracket.

Are you replacing the front speaker with an aftermarket unit?
    If so... some of them come complete with the mounting bracket.

If you're gutting the old speaker and fitting two 3-1/2" or 4" speakers into it, you need to look at your factory speaker to see what shape magnet it has.
    Search ebay for "Camaro Front Speaker Bracket"...You will see two different brackets.

Short answer... I believe 70-79 uses the same bracket.

Popper likes this.
  3. Pierre74LT

Pierre74LT New Member

my 74 has the same bracket

4. Popper

Popper Veteran Member

I ended up with custom mount of the original along with custom bent abs, turned out pretty nice

Attached Files:

NOLAZACK likes this.