Centering the rearend

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 80's AL, Feb 17, 2019.

1. 80's AL

80's AL Member

So, I am about to embark on the leaf spring/shock/hardware replacement on my 80'.
    I have done this before on an 80' i owned in the mid 90's, so I know the ins and outs or removal/replace..

The last time I did this i did not really pay attention to the location of the rear cause it was pretty much centered. 275/60 tires were right at the fender, and were the same distance from the fender on both sides.

But this car...the offset is quite noticeable. About 1 1/2 inch to the right.
    This may be due to 39 year old bushings, broken spring, who knows.
    So, any tips or tricks on installation?
    Start on the side that is "in" towards the middle, or start on the side that is to "out"? Doesn't matter?

I think the spring, shock, or both, is broke on my driver's side...cause the wheel lip is 1 1/2" lower on that side.

So...any suggestions on centering up the rear on installation would be helpful.

Thanks

2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Shift to the passenger side is normal on our cars and was built in from the factory it seems. Gets noticable when putting large rims on the car and especially with solid bushings. I've measured the difference cut the perches and shifted them 1/2 the measured distance towards the driver side.

[​IMG]

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Stacked tolerances. Working on my car it seems even the panels are off a little. The important thing is the center one of the pinion is in line with the centerline of the transmission. I would be cautious to not cause issues to make it look right by looking at the car

4. 80's AL

80's AL Member

Camaro 71/Holland
    Wow....seems a lil extreme, but makes sense. Not sure I am ready to go that far....but if I have to....

5. 80's AL

80's AL Member

I hear that.
    Would spacing out just the driver side wheel be advisable, or just as detrimental/dangerous?

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

1 1/2 inch shift is a bit much in my opinion my 79 is only a 1/4 inch off and the pinion is not inline with the trans but what i have read on this site the skew was done from GM's design....

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The drivetrain is offset in the car by design, but no way is the rear not aligned with the trans by design. That’s what you get due to the time. These cars are not perfect, but acceptable. If the trans tail is off from the pinion by a lot, something is wrong.

8. 80's AL

80's AL Member

I will be sure to look at that when disassembling

9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

These had the engine centerline offset to the passenger side by 1/2 inch.

The rear ends measured on most, passenger offset another 1/4 to 1/2 inch +/-, this would eliminate the driveline potential angle from being close to "0" and getting premature u-joint issues and warranty claims.

camaro71/holland and badazz81z28 have made the key points.