CF/Fiberglass Hood Rention

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by badazz81z28, Nov 27, 2019.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

With those of you with either, what are you using for hood retention? I’m interested to see pin locations or fabrications for alternative pin locations.

2. lightly-modded

lightly-modded Member

I am a fan of aerocatch. I have used them on multiple other builds, and will be using them on my camaro when I get to that point. I am just personally not a fan of the more classic pin through the hood style unless it is a pure race car. Added benefit is aerocatch has a locking design, if you live in an area where that could be a worry.

3. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

I use quik latch retainers. Much easier than dzus or pins, and less likely to get forgotten.

4. badazz81z28

I’m digging the Aero Catch look too. Anyone got pics of the pins and brackets?

5. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

I put a set in a Anvil CF Firebird hood. Here's a pic of pin location I used (custom aluminum core support). I strongly recommend using the stock center hood latch as well as pins OR some other type of mechanism to hold the center of the hood down. Pretty sure I have a pic of the top side showing the aerocatch somewhere, I'll keep looking.

I've seen bad things happen at high speeds from not having the center held down. I had a fiberglass hood on my 74 Camaro bracket car. Previous owner didn't have the center held down and the hood bowed up in the center about a foot near the end of the drag strip cracking the gel coat badly.

[​IMG]

Edit, found the pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Kricka likes this.
  6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

If you look at the Roadster Shop 1970 Camaro race car "Rampage" has those type of hood hold downs.

7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

You can use them with the stock holes in the core support but, they have to be installed sideways.

8. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

I've been thinking that hood pins in a stock steel hood just might add a little torsional stiffness to the front end (which needs all it can get) if they are strong and tight. These hoods are deeply sculptured and double paneled, so I figure they are fairly stiff. They weigh around 70 or so pounds so it would be nice if they did something besides just sit there. Just a thought.

9. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here is a video on Areocatch. It is a 3rd gen, but the same idea.

10. badazz81z28

Good video. I don't see why you would do this for a steel hood though. It looks good up top, but looks horrible on the bottom.