Change trans fluid and filter? 95 Z71

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by JWZ28, Mar 31, 2014.

1. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

I recently inherited my grandpa's 95 Z71. I've been doing the regular tune up stuff on it and was about to do a trans fluid and filter change. I know for a fact it's never been changed and the truck has 115,000 miles. Trans fluid is a dark reddish brown and trans still shifts great. No burnt smell.

I've heard that changing the fluid and filter can actually cause the trans to slip and fail if it hasn't been changed regularly. Anyone have any input here before I go ahead with the fluid change? I'm not doing a flush, just draining the pan, filter change and refill.

2. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

I never heard of a such thing. Changing the trans fluid and filter Is good maintenance..

3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm sure you'll get opinions all over the spectrum here, but I wouldn't change it.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I did have a transmission fail the day after changing the fluid, but I don't think changing the fluid had anything to do with the failure. The tranny was shot before the fluid change.

Some years ago I bought a used car with one of those magic TH200 trannys. Knowing what they are, I had my Son change the oil before we drove it far. He found chunks of clutches in the pan, and the fluid was badly burned. The next day, we took the car on a 100 mile run. By the time we got home, it was barely able to move under its own power. The tranny was basically dead in both forward and reverse. I took it to a tranny shop and replaced the TH200 with a TH350. End of problem.

5. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

My '02 GMC had 140K on it. Changed the fliud in the tranny, and yup, junk. no issues before. Literally right after fluid change change, it would not move.

6. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

hmmm.... I may just leave it.

7. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Every time I've changed fluid in a high mileage vehicle, seems they've given up on me. I did just swap a used trans in my GTP - I changed the filter and fluid in it, seems fine. I did read that you should just change it, but not flush it, and do not change to synthetic. I didn't help you much, could go either way, lol.

8. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't have a problem changing it. If it gives up after the fluid/filter change it was junk anyway.

9. nikogto

nikogto Veteran Member

If you don't flush the trans fluid out after changing the filter you're wasting your time mixing all the old fluid in the torque convertor and lines/cooler. If you don't have a flush machine to use, go to a shop that does or they have some vids online on how to do it yourself. We usually flush 12 qts. through them

10. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

The ones that usually fail after a service are because the people knew in the back of their mind that the trans was having issues and they somehow thought a new filter and some fluid would fix it.

Plus seeing what is in the pan will tell you a lot about the condition of the trans.