Changes To The Law When Buying A Car In WA

Discussion in 'North West Region' started by Ryan 79, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Ryan 79

Ryan 79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I bought Shawn's 98 Camaro 3.8 on Saturday for $1200. I took an extra hundred with me to title it, the tabs on it were good until October. I figured $100 would be plenty, last time I did it title transfers were only around $50

I was in for a surprise.

As of January 1, 2015, when you transfer a title, you can no longer transfer tabs or plates. So if the tabs were renewed one day before you bought it, you are SOL, you have to buy nee tabs and plates.

I have looked at the title receipt 100 times, and still cant figure out how they got to the number they did. It cost me $146 to transfer the title on a $1200 car. Keep in mind that I am outside the area where all the Sound Transit and special MVET taxes are, this is as cheap as it will get.

Of course the Licensing office is the one place on the planet that doesnt take debit cards. I used cash for the title transfer, and told her I would do the plates online where I could use a debit card. The clerk said that would be fine.

But wait, theres more...

When you get the paperwork for temporary title, it makes up a license plate number with a + sign in it, and says the registration is 00/0000. Unfortunately, you cannot enter this in to the DOL website, it says you have to go to a licensing office. Since the hours I work everyday are longer than the DOL office hours, Im driving it on Shawns old plates til Saturday.

Bottom line, title transfer for a 17 year old, $1200 car is going to be right around $250 with plates and registration. If you are buying a car, tab life no longer matters, you have to buy tabs and plates immediately. And if you are selling a car and the tabs are up soon, let them expire and buy a trip permit to sell it. The new owner can no longer transfer tabs and plates into their name, they have to buy new

2. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

That blows. They are getting us down here now. We have to pay a person to person sales tax. They call it a title tax. Bought my son a 87 Maxima to play with and to title it was $128 on a $750 car. But next year if he still has it the fee will be $18. The dealers cried about it being unfair and the state wants more revenue.

3. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

PA doubled all the title transfer fees

4. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Indiana does something similar. The Governor always gets his cut. If I sell a car, the plates stay with me. The next owner has to buy his own plates. If he decides he wants something different and sells it, the next person has to buy plates. It goes on and on. I can put my plates on another car when I buy one. There's a good sized transfer fee there too.

On the other hand, if I don't replace the car, I can cancel the registration. I won't get my plate fee back but unused taxes do get credited. The other taxes, like wheel taxes and so on, well, those are gone.

5. redone000

redone000 Veteran Member

Good to know. The state sure isn't going to tell anyone.

6. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In TN, plates remain the property of the person and don't go with the vehicle. In OK and KY, it's the other way around. Plates stay with the vehicle, unless it's a specialty plate, which stays with the owner (although in OK you still have to keep the original plate with the vehicle if you get a specialty plate). In TN, if I traded in a car, I'd just transfer the plates over the the vehicle I bought. Very simple process. It was a little more complicated transferring a specialty plate to another vehicle when I lived in KY.

Still, $200+ for a $1200 is absolutely nuts. I paid a little over $400 for TTL on the $13,000 truck I bought in November. To be fair, OK goes by average value of that year, make, model, and trim level. The law allows no exceptions based on mileage, condition, etc. So I was paying taxes on a $20,000 truck. Of course, the higher sales tax in TN means I would have paid around $8-900 had I bought it there based solely on the price I paid (they go off the bill of sale). I think KY would have been in the $600 range for TTL from what I remember (also based off average value).

7. cadmanmeg

cadmanmeg Veteran Member

Want to say who is voting this crap in, but know there is no voting for this type of thing. Just morons trying to "look" busy. Just goes to show again that the people with the lowest IQ and least amount of common sense always land jobs with government entities.....

8. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

That's really odd.
    I just bought a 72 Camaro in Olympia WA on Sunday, transferred the title at my local DOL in West Seattle on Monday and kept the same licence plate. Collector plate, never needs tabs.
    I used a debit card, fee is $2.