Changing Carb Squirter

Eaglefixer

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 25, 2002
Warner Robins, Ga
Looking at changing the Squirter on my 780 Holley. I have a slight stall as i hit the gas pedal. I've adjusted the pump arm to the .015 clearance. The current squirter is size 25 and i have bought a 28 and 31. I took the 25 off and noticed that there was only 1 gasket on the bottom of the squirter and none under the screw but the parts breakdown shows one under screw head and one under the squirter and both are flat. Do i need to put one under the screw head which is tapered?

Damon

Veteran Member
Nov 16, 2000
Philly area
Yes, I would. It's just "paper" and will turn into a cone-shape when you tighten the screw down. They often stick to the inside of the squirter where the screw head mashes them down- they almost become one with the metal and can be difficult to even see it's even there sometimes.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
One at each side of the squirter. I had a stumble a few yrs ago and it turned out to be a bad power valve.

hreb75.JPG

hreb74.JPG

And don't forget the needle.
hreb77.JPG

Last edited:

450bench

Veteran Member
Feb 25, 2002
memphis, tn-shelby
I'd try the 31 first as well...I never worry with the .015 stuff...like others have said, get the accelerator pump to a point where you get instantaneous throttle response at the slightest movement of the throttle itself.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
Eaglefixer said:
should i change the needle too? Should i go with the 28 or 31 1st?

Needle is fine. Who knows what kind of China crap you may end up with. Since they are easy to swap, start with 28.

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
I changed mine to .31 b/c of the same stumble. You don't need a new needle. Also, as mentioned above, the .015 clearance/play is what you're supposed to have at the end of the shot. In other words, take all slack out of pump arm, open the throttle all the way and see if you can push down on the pump arm 0.10 - 0.15 more. It's just to keep from damaging the pump mechanism.

Damon

Veteran Member
Nov 16, 2000
Philly area
Even if you have NO clearance on the pump arm at WOT, the overload spring in the arm coming off the accelerator pump cam will prevent damage to the pump mechanism. Not a problem with smaller pump cams, but with some of the big ones (and depending on your throttle opening to hold a stable idle) you can use up ALL of the travel in the pump. ALL. No room left for .015" safety margin.

This is definitely in the "try it and see" category. Every carb is going to be a bit different, no two exactly alike. But like was said above, you want that intial throttle opening to IMMEDIATELY activate the accelerator pump system.

Latest posts