changing seat position?

72ss4me

Veteran Member
Aug 11, 2009
raleigh,nc
Is there a practical way to move the driver's seat back. A few inches would make a world of difference when you have long legs? Suggestions?

Bills69

Veteran Member
May 28, 2018
CLASSIC INDUSTRIES FRONT SEAT EXTENDERS INIT-1008
Yearone also

Last edited:

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
The only two vehicles we've had that I didn't have to put the seat clear back have been the 70 and the '19 Tahoe. You must really have some long legs?

rocket dawg

Veteran Member
May 5, 2015
Grand Rapids Mi
I did it on my 79 T/A. I moved the rails forward on each seat. It's been awhile so Im going off memory. I believe the rails are riveted to the sliding part. Grind rivet out and drill a new hole and use red loctite on the new bolt/nut. This will gain a little over an inch and it dont cost anything. My new seat buns/foam puts me closer to the steering wheel. You can make your own brackets if your handy if you dont want to mess with the slides relocation.

72ss4me

Veteran Member
Aug 11, 2009
raleigh,nc
I'm 6'2. I redid my seats so maybe the new foam puts me closer to the steering wheel. My knees are bent all the way so a few inches would definitely help. I've see some advertise for the first gen cars. I don't remember seeing any for the second gens. Is the floor flat enough to use the first gen brackets?

GoldenOne7710

Equal Opportunity Offender
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 23, 2004
Athens, GA
I used seat tracks from a 91 Firebird and just cut/welded the "feet" off my original tracks to fit the floorboard. The adjustment length for the 3rd Gen cars is WAY longer than the tracks in the 2nd Gen cars. I can scoot all the way forward until my knees almost touch the dash. Backwards..I can get about 4 inches from the back seat.

I also used ProCar Elite front seats. I'm 6ft @ 220lbs and I fit comfortably in the car. Way better than I did in the factory seats.

Latest posts