Charcoal canister

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by cb81, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Tom350

Tom350 Member

It basically filters stuff for emissions. Big thing in the late 70's. That's why are cars are so slow. :)

2. tedm_SS

tedm_SS BANNED

I was hoping it would prevent me from smelling like exhaust after driving the car.

3. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

Well it will sort of do that. Its designed to catch all the fumes at are emitted from the fuel tank. Most all older cars (pre 70's) just would vent the gas tank to the atmosphere. This of course caused that wicked gas stink on a hot day. The OEM's figured an easy way to cure this, and save you some gas as well.

The vent line from your tank winds its way to the front of the car, and would go into this canister. The canister is filled with charcoal (hence the name). The coal absorbs the fuel fumes, saturating itself with it, so you don't smell raw fuel. Under certain conditions (variable between years/makes/models), it would open a small valve and allow the fumes to be sucked out by the engine and burned. This method works so well, its still used today in modern vehicles. However since they are not pretty and involve a lot of plumbing, many people do away with something that actually saves them gas.

Without it, on a hot day, tank full of fuel, the fuel will expand and evaporate. If vented to nothing (atmosphere), it will leave the tank and be gone. So its essentially like a really small fuel leak. Not sure about you, but with the price of fuel these days, I want to use everything I paid for.

So you can understand its worth while to keep your canister, not just for the smell, but to keep those hydrocarbons, and burn them instead of wasting them. It has nothing to do with making the car slower, robs no power, and gives you better fuel mileage (albeit fairly small amount)

4. nicks78camaro

nicks78camaro Veteran Member

Oh about 5 hrs from me. Was thinking we could meet if interested but forget that lol.

If you are interested I could ship it

5. falloutboy

falloutboy Veteran Member

Not only this, but the Chrylser PT Cruiser does his idle -ling with it. Instead of sucking in air and mixing it with fuel through the injectors - it uses the gas fumes.

hence rock solid idle.

6. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Charcoal canisters are awsome. I will never yank one out ever again. If you ever sat in your souped up old hot rod in hot weather and traffic and had the stench of gas fumes following you down the road,you were suffering from "Lackofacharcoalcanisteracitis". Even if you just hook up the vent hose from your tank to the inlet of the canister and seal the rest of the hoses off you will be better off.

7. cb81

cb81 Veteran Member

Can u post a pic and tell me how much you are asking for it?

8. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Putting the cannister back in stopped the smell of gas in the garage. Mine attaches to both the fuel tank and the fuel bowl vent on the carb. The lines were rerouted for a cleaner appearance.
    They are easy to make look good too. I did the one in the 77. Washed it good and then sprayed silicone on it and it looks like new again. Repainted the bracket and installed in about an hour.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]