Cheap 283 on my local FB. Will it direct swap?

moms1978

Veteran Member
Aug 13, 2008
Man Cave
Yes. Yall saved me from wasting almost $200 on that 283. Much appreciated. I would've felt so dumb if I brought that thing home then realized I cant even put my alternator bracket on it. lol shewwww thanks

Cardinal

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 22, 2003
Endicott, NY
I've owned and built many a 283. HARD block. Not so good rods (they need Magni fluxing, resized, shot peening, and HD rod bolts). Cast pistons meh. Heads with no accessory holes which make it a PITA for mounting alternator and power steering AND don't have hardened exhaust valve seats so the valves erode into the head. You're better off with the 305. Port the heads. Use a thin metal head gasket (spray paint both sides of the gasket with aluminum spray paint), screw in studs. Edelbrock Performer hydraulic cam and lifter kit with valve springs. Degree the cam in Maybe rering and rebearing the crank and rods.

I've got to get my crap together and start selling stuff. Complete 350. 4 bolt main 350 bare block. 2 bolt 350 bare block. Edelbrock 2101 intake. 350 1.94" heads. Just to name a very few things.

PHROG

Sep 27, 2017
Amarillo Texas
If you knew the engine's history it would be better,but yeah,drilling the accessory holes can be sketchy.
For contrast,I sold the 283 out of my 67 chevelle about 4 years ago for 400 dollars.62K original miles on it,didnt smoke,knock,or ping.
Guy needed it for his chevelle resto.Small blocks weren't stamped with a vin back then,just the BBs,so it was perfect for his 67.
Was a good strong motor for what it was.Did not like the giant can in the lifter valley,lol.Had a clearance issue when I put a dual plane on it.
Also had to put the lead additive in it every gas fill up.
I believe your info is a bit fuzzy. 67 blocks were definitely VIN stamped, memory (which is also a bit fuzzy) says VIN stamping began in 59.

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
I believe your info is a bit fuzzy. 67 blocks were definitely VIN stamped, memory (which is also a bit fuzzy) says VIN stamping began in 59.
No smallblocks were.Only bigblocks,at least on the chevelle line,only date coded.
Not sure if camaros were the same.

moms1978

Veteran Member
Aug 13, 2008
Man Cave
Welp no deal on the 305. We had agreed to meet today at this "internet exchange" location in front of a small police station in town. Guy messages me this morning saying that he forgot he wasn't going to have his truck today and that I need to come get it about 50 minutes away. I have yet to respond. IDK what to say or do.

Last edited:

FS87LT

Veteran Member
Apr 3, 2010
DFW, TX
Small blocks had their "birth certificate" machining stamp codes, which included the "application code" it was machined for at the end, as always. VIN stamps at the front edge of the pad started to happen in about 1970, but not universally, as I recall.

Not all 283s were cast "HB", but some were. Leave the 283s for the resto operatives that really need them. Just because the blocks all go into the same place does NOT mean that things which attach to the motors will easily interchange, though. As in the cyl heads and acc bolt holes, for example.

A 305 might not have the "cred" that a 283 might, but that does NOT mean its a bad engine. With the help of a Cloyes timing set, I put over 600K miles on the one which came in my '77 Camaro LT. Pulled it out as the freeze plugs were all leaking. And, with a [email protected] Cam Dynamics cam, Z-Line Holley intake, emissions-spec 600 Holley, and factory Z/28 exhaust, embarassed a then-new '87 Mustang GT in a sprint from 70mph on the Interstate. HE called off the situation at 110mph. My Camaro 235K miles on it then, other than the cam and timing chain set, everything else was stock in the block. With the 2.56 axle ratio and P225/70R-15 tires, had to shift to 3rd at 5000rpm (100mph). The GT driver, as most 5.0L Mustangers, was NOT happy. LOL If he'd known that my 305 had stock exhaust manifolds and none of the stuff that makes a Mustang GT motor be what it is, he would really have been mad, I suspect.

Enjoy!
FS87LT

1959Buick

Oct 1, 2019
So a guy I know who has been a mechanic longer than I've been alive had this to say about it.

"Don't Waste your money it won't run on cheap Gas at all. Trying to save you money and a Headache."

I have a 283 in my 59 Bel Air. t runs on cheap gas.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
Welp no deal on the 305. We had agreed to meet today at this "internet exchange" location in front of a small police station in town. Guy messages me this morning saying that he forgot he wasn't going to have his truck today and that I need to come get it about 50 minutes away. I have yet to respond. IDK what to say or do.
Now, go hunt down a rebuildable core L31 Vortec (or a crapped out truck that has one) --- that's what.

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
When people with years of experience say something like that, I question their experience.
Yep, It's been my experience when people say stuff like that they don't want to deal with explaining why or how. I hate when people tell me what to do or not to do in a case like this. Just explain the pros and cons and let me decide. I have my big boy pants on.

Latest posts