cheap POS aftermarket HEI modules

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ULTM8Z, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Love my Pertronics. Installed a Skip White in my neighbors truck 5 years ago, no problems.

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I think I'm going to grab another coil I have out of my parts bin and put it in. I think it's stock. But I've heard that failing coils can be hard on modules, so I'm wondering if the module failing is actually a symptom of a failing coil.

I actually have a Hypertech coil in the car right now from I don't know how many years ago.

Probably will try that out this weekend.

3. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

One does affect the other.....that part I think has been proven. Whether or not you need to stay with all the same brand to be compatible is what's in doubt.
    I say why take a chance? Get all the same stuff

Zstar likes this.
  4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

So an update... looks like my Hypertech coil was on the way out as well. it's probably around 15 years old. I put that spare coil back in and picked up about 1/2 - 3/4" inHg of vacuum at idle, and more dramatically my BLM fuel trims increased in value by 6-8 points (indicating I'm getting a more complete burn of the mixture). Seat of the pants, not so much "more power" per se, but definitely a snappier feel to the throttle, feels "peppier".

Not sure what was going out first, the coil or the module.

But I think at this point, I think I'm back to a bone stock ignition, so probably room for more improvement. I'm probably just going to get an Accel coil and module. My reading around online seems to indicate people are pretty happy with the results of that combination.

Haven't had a chance to do the >4000 rpm test (I'll usually have that "fun" early on a Sat or Sun morning when the freeways are empty). But just scooting around town running an errand just now, it was definitely the case that my whole freaking igntion system as on the way out! lol...

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

i had a brand new accell super coil burn up in a few weeks.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

All China garbage is meant to last at least a month and not guaranteed to work out of the box. But we keep buying and they become richer.

gramps and flht99b like this.