Cheapest way to go to a smaller disc setup?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by newschool72, Feb 25, 2014.

1. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Im thinking about going to an 11" disc setup on the rear of my 72, so I can run a 15" wheel at the drag strip. I have a 13" 4 piston setup back there now. I honestly doubt I will ever push the car hard enough to need the big brakes out back. I need suggestions on a conversion that is reliable , but affordable to go down in rear brake size. OR someone just want to trade from something small to something bigger?
    No rush on this. Im actually going under the knife tomorrow for a back surgery and will be down for a while. I should be out of the hospital by around Friday and be able to check in on here soon after. Thanks!

2. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Why not just get stickier tires for the size wheel you are running now? Drag tires
    come in most 17 - 18 tires. Its what they run on the 4th Gen cars at the strip.

Tom

3. newschool72

Yea, I have Nitto NTO5Rs on it now. Im just afraid I will have to change the suspension enough to have ill effects on the handling to get them to hook at the track. Caltracs would fix it, I think, but they make a car under steer badly if you give it any gas in a curve. Right now I have Moroso trick springs on the front and Bilstein drag shocks on all 4 corners. Believe it or not, with the big Hotchkis sway bars hooked up, the car handles really good and the ride is much easier on my back than the Hotchkis TVS springs I use to run. The handling is very close to the GTO or 4th gen Camaro I use to own. Im going to do some more experimenting after I recover, but for now Im just weighing my options. It may even be that I can just hook my front sway bar up at the track, to slow the frontend lift and hook it that way. My issues this past weekend was the front suspension rising too quick and shocking the chassis and causing the tires to break loose. On my first pass last weekend the car lifted the front wheels about 2", then started spinning and unloaded the rear tires. I was just thinking, if I had more sidewall, 15" rim, the tires might be able to hang on. What are your thoughts on it?

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

2nd gen discs?

5. newschool72

That's one of the directions I thought about. To be honest Ive never researched or done anything with factory rear disc brakes for a second gen. Is there list of what years came with disc brakes or where is the best place to look for a setup? What other platforms would work? Is it just a matter of having the same 10-12 bolt caliper mount bolt pattern? I have an adjustable prop valve with a knob setup within reach under the dash, so getting the brake bias set to work right with my big front disc wont be a problem.
    Throw some knowledge on me guys!! LOL

6. BonzoHansen

77(?)-81 TAs

7. newschool72

I need to find out what dictates fitment for the brakes. It seems that any caliper mount/backing plate that would fit my 8.5" 10 bolt and have the same bolt pattern on the disc should work, shouldn't it? My rear Bilstein shocks are actually designed for a first gen and are upside down( with home fabbed spacers to have the right travel) so at the bottom of the shocks, there is only a 1/2" shaft going to the lower shock mount, so shouldn't have any caliper/shock clearance issues.

8. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well what was the reason for the 13" brakes in the rear anyway? If you aren't planning to make a full on competitive drag car, why remove such a functional, expensive part of your car?

I'd say leave those brakes on there and find good radials for the size wheel you have. A lot of modern car owners do great this way.

9. newschool72

That's a possibility, along with more suspension tuning. Like I said above, I have plenty of time to figure it out. Im just weighing options.

10. BonzoHansen

ahh the price we pay for changing our plans lol