Chevrolet Performance Deluxe Serpentine Drive Kits 1249769

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Davez79, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Davez79

Davez79 New Member

Anyone use the chevy accessory drive kit ? What ac and power steering hoses are used? I have a new crate engine for my 79Z I'm going to install and am thinking about getting this kit

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

That should use the metric o-ring style lines. I forget where the changeover is, but your 79 might already use them. I more or less run the same setup, but I used a 3rd gen steering box that also has that fitting, so IIRC I used an 81 Z28 high pressure line. Search the steering & suspension forum.

I believe you will probably need to have AC lines custom made.

3. JKC

JKC Veteran Member

on the P/S high pressure hose if your using the 79 gear box just take the fitting out of the 79 pump and swap it to the new pump.

4. 130fe

130fe Member

That kit is the same from the 88-92 F-body V8 cars. If you get the 88-92 setup, be sure the use a 91 chevy truck 305 water pump. The F-body water pump does not have provisions for heater hose fittings, the truck one does. That style water pump is also a reverse rotation pump (opposite than a conventional SBC). I used that setup a long time ago when I had my last SBC motor. I bought a serp kit off of Ebay and had the brackets powder coated. Ended up buying a new PS pump and Alternator. For the alternator you will have to change the plug on the engine alternator harness. If you decide to go this route, it gives you a nice looking serpentine setup with a 105 amp alternator and no more belt alignment issues.

5. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Good call on using the reverse rotation stuff...fan and waterpump. I have the '88 serpentine setup as well and a 3rd gen IROC steering box. Another idea for your power steering hose is to use AN fittings...you can get an AN -6 adapter then use AN fittings all around. So if you have a flare on one end and the o-ring on the other....you can get the adapter for each and then run AN hose between them. Hope this helps.

G