chevy 4x4 transmission

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 76 camaro car 1, Jul 21, 2015.

1. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

I am looking at a 1988 silverado z71 4x4. I can pick it up at a real good price. All it needs is a transmission. I am not really up on 4x4s so I have no clue if I buy the truck what I am getting myself into. Changing the transmission is not a problem doing myself. can I use a 2 wheel drive truck transmission or does it have to be a 4x4 transmission. I know they look different on the tail and I think the 4x4 bolts to the transfer case. Wondering if I can remove the tail shaft from a regular transmission and swap some parts over if it will work?

2. cbraswell

cbraswell Veteran Member

What transmission, 5 speed or 700r4?

3. 76 camaro car 1

sorry its a 700r4

4. 76 camaro car 1

Thank you moderator for moving this post. Actually I thought I posted it in the BS Section. I'm having a bad day

5. cbraswell

cbraswell Veteran Member

Swapping 2wd and 4wd transmissions can get a bit tricky with all the output shaft lengths and adapters that go along with them. I think the 700 had a few different spline counts as well. I feel like the output shaft will be to long and the speedometer gear/cable may be something else to look at as well since one is in the tailshaft and ones in the transfer case.

Maybe Jakeshoe will chime in on this, all my experience with 4wd's are with the older chevys.

6. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

The shorter 4x4 tail shaft is an easy swap if you're comfortable taking your transmission apart.

But I guess, if you were, you'd just fix the transmission that;s in there

7. 76 camaro car 1

If its a easy swap I will give it a try. Hey,can't never tried right? The rest of the truck is in really good shape. I can pick it up for $800. I've been wanting a truck for awhile and the 4x4 is just a plus.

8. scot1074

scot1074 Veteran Member

I have the tranny and transfer case from the truck that I got my 454 from and the truck was an 89 k3500 and I believe it's a turbo 400. That would probably work too. Just a thought, I'd if you can use one of those! I have the driveshafts also.

9. 76 camaro car 1

PM sent