Chevy Avalanche - experience?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by BonzoHansen, Sep 19, 2019.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Anybody have any experience with Chevy avalanches? I'm looking at replacing my 93 K1500 with something a little bit newer. I want back seats and a v8, which is why I'm getting rid of my 93.

I'm looking at mostly 2009 and up with 125000 miles or less. I don't drive that much, I work at home, so I don't wanna pay for really low miles cause I'm a cheap bastard. And i don't want a lwb truck right now. So an avalanche or Tahoe are my sights.

I know general soft spots and Chevy trucks, like fuel lines brake lines. did both of those on my 93. watch for frame rust. Exhaust manifold bolts.

Are the 6 speed automatic OK?

Does the mid gate setup cause any problems? Is it useful?

2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

A friend bought one of the first Avalanches off the line. He mostly liked it but found out going down a dusty dirt road with the back window open wasn't a good idea. I think later models were changed slightly to help that. Otherwise, he liked it for the two years he had it. He's one of those people who have to have the first of everything. The bed isn't very big and is open so you don't have enclosed storage if you need it.

3. MoarThrottle

MoarThrottle Veteran Member

4. BonzoHansen

I don't trust fan boys lol

Thanks, I'll poke around there

MoarThrottle likes this.
  5. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

One thing to watch for is on the ‘07 and up trucks and suv’s They have that multi displacement system, and in general those suck a ton of oil, to the tune of a quart or more every 1000 miles.
    Personally I’d keep my eyes open for a nice 2005-06 you get the bigger brakes, and don’t have the oil consumption issues.

6. BonzoHansen

Older ones have bigger brakes? Huh

I'd probably plan to lose the dod at some point

7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

We're not seeing much of an oil consumption problem but they are dropping lifters and jacking up the cams something awful. I have a Tahoe at the dealer with 20k on the GM reman engine getting cam and lifters right now. I'm a big GM fan but I'd be hard pressed to drop any coin on their DOD v8 right now. They don't seem to have a clue why there are so many failures.

8. BonzoHansen

Any of you tech guys have any feedback on "autoride" suspension in later years? Some kind of electric shock?

9. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

You can get the DOD "tuned" out by a reputable tuner,2 co workers used a local shop who do 6 figure restomods,were able to tune out the DOD,no lifter mods.They ran seafoam for an oil change and the oil consumption issues went away,Both had oil consumption issues and cantankerous drivability issues due to it.one was 6.0 escalade other 5.3 avalanche don't know much more Later Steve!!

10. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can tune out the activation of the DOD but the mechanical issues of a lifter DOD will still be there.