Chevy Avalanche - experience?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by BonzoHansen, Sep 19, 2019.

1. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

The lifters themselves have issues?? that stinks,the 2 fellas at work,the escalade used oil like 500 miles to a quart and the avalanche had crazy driveability issues related to the DOD,The shop did recommend a "camswap" with different lifters,they told me[plus headers,transtune blah blah blah],Maybe they should peddle those things while they still Run!! LOL,Kinda glad I still drive old junk!! Later Steve!!

2. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

What I meant was larger than the ‘02-‘04 years. I think they went bigger again in 08.

3. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

What is the cause of excessive engine oil consumption?

4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

5. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

The short version is the mds or cylinder shut down system. When in v4 (shutdown) mode half the cyls stop firing, and the valves don’t operate so there is no compression. The piston rings then don’t work as they should, so they get filled with the oil from the cyl wall which makes the problem worse as time goes on as the oil “cokes” or gets sludgy so then the rings are full of that crap and thus allowing the oil on the cyl wall to be burnt when the cyl activates again. And they don’t have kind of a junk pcv setup.

Honda’s are not immune to this, the accords, pilots and minivans with the v6 do the same thing. With the exception they drop an entire bank in that mode - requiring a special computer operated engine mount and sound canceling audio They shake like a mofo, and make a really loud horrendous (think it’s close to the sound we’d make when being mauled by a bear - after reasoning with it fails) so even if you have the radio “off” it’s not really off, it’s playing a frequency opposite to the sound emitted by the engine. Physically unplug the radio in one sometime - it’s deafeningly loud. But anyway same problem they start sucking oil and it just gets worse and worse.

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Toyota, the supposed standard for quality had problems with that on V-6 engines too. There is a small port on the piston skirt that is supposed to do something with excess oil. It gets plugged up and the engines sludge up pretty bad. This is one the higher end Toyota's and the Lexus cars. I don't fool with imports much so I don't remember the details but it got fairly heated between the customers and dealers.

7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

8. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Most have already mentioned the things to look for. Plenty of info out there on eliminating the AFM/DOD, so you can solve that issue.

Since it is the same chassis as the Suburban, parts availability is good for them. I haven't heard anyone complaining about the mid gate setup. I personally would look at the 2500 version, better brakes and 6.0L engine.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

2500 with the 8.1 was discontinued in 2006. I'm not interested in that.

The Cadillac ext version has the 6.0. It seems there are 6.0 Chevys out there, maybe 07-09. I haven't seen one for sale yet

10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have you looked down this way yet or in the Carolinas? Maybe better corrosion wise underneath...