Chevy Avalanche - experience?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by BonzoHansen, Sep 19, 2019.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I've seen a bunch in VA. but that's a hike

2. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Issues, usually brake lines on earlier models. If the oil was not changed regularly with the correct spec oil, the lifter issues come into play. I have an 07 Tahoe I picked up cheap because of a bad lifter. Bought a kit from Scoggin Dickey with LS7 lifters, head bolts, and all the covers/gaskets plus a new GM non DOD cam for $450 shipped to my door. One day of labor, and 20 minutes modifying the tune with HP Tuners, and it runs great. That one has a 4L70E, which I had rebuilt. My 2011 Tahoe was bought right out of service from a nearby police department. 127k miles as of today. 6 speed auto, had slight TCC shudder but I just got rid of it with a flash to the latest updated software from GM. If you look at a 6 speed equipped truck, be wary of any with extremely dark transmission fluid and any issues with shifting. If the software updates we're not done, TC lockup clutch material can wind up in the valve body and do some damage. Overall good vehicles, the lower the mileage the better. Make sure all the software is updated to the newest stuff, you aren't far from me, so I can update for you if needed. Costs me $40 per VIN, I'll do it for cost to help you out. I already made the investment in equipment, software access is the only thing that costs me money.

BonzoHansen likes this.
  3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks!

4. MichJim72

MichJim72 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I owned an 03' Z71 package. The deep blue color and the first year without the cladding. It was pretty much loaded and I bought new off the lot. Sticker was 40K but with rebates and the GM discount ended unjust over 35k all in. Drove it for 3 years to 45K miles with absolutely no issues. Sold it for 18K.

I loved the Avalanche and would get one again. Interestingly my buddy who is still at GM said there are two vehicles in the past 20 years that have the highest GM customer loyalty and satisfaction. One is the Volt and the other is the Avalanche. Both now discontinued.

I would recommend one for sure. The 5.3 and 4 speed combo worked great and my combined mileage was right around 17mpg. As several have mentioned the later years saw some issues with engines. Here's a sample pic of mine. image.png

BonzoHansen likes this.