Chevy beats Ford in 2005

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ericj205, Jan 4, 2006.

1. ericj205

ericj205 Veteran Member

Some interesting news considering all the complaining on the board (me included) about GM designers and what my buddy calls "the GM Junky Feeling" everytime he has trouble with his late model.

Chevy beats Ford in 2005

Dale Jewett
    Automotive News / January 4, 2006 - 3:34 pm

DETROIT -- Chevrolet beat the Ford Division in U.S. sales by 17,084 units in 2005, dislodging Ford from the top of the sales chart for the first time since 1986.

On Dec. 1, Chevy led Ford by 9,318 units. In 2004, Ford beat Chevrolet by 18,801 units.

Sales at both automakers fell in 2005. Chevrolet outsold Ford in cars. Chevy sold 899,116 cars in 2005, compared with 742,423 cars sold by Ford. That was a difference of 156,693 units.

But Ford, while it sold more trucks than Chevrolet in 2005, saw a bigger drop in truck sales from 2004. Ford sold 1,891,618 trucks in 2005, 189,932 units less than it sold in 2004. Chevrolet sold 1,752,009 trucks in 2005, 87,120 units less than 2004. In 2005, Ford sold 139,609 more trucks than Chevrolet.

2. ADV1

ADV1 Veteran Member

Now, toss in the GMC Sierra and lets see what the numbers say!

oh, and congrats to GM!

3. 71RS350

71RS350 Moderator Staff Member Gold Member

hmmm.....interesting!

4. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah I knew we weren't going to be able to hold them off this year,not with all the shortages and impossible supply problems we were having getting inventory.Ford was so proud of kicking GM a** every year that when it came to parts to support inventory (we were backlogged on F-Series 26 weeks at one point),I just know I lost tons of sales to the competition.

Oh well...win some,lose some.My plate was full all year long so I'm not complaining...but I hate to lose the top spot simply because we couldn't get enough product.

Ford has their new redesigned F-Series coming on-line soon so let's review this thread in one year.;)

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

GM was the first to start the "Employee Discount for Everyone" program back in May. Looks like it worked!

If they could just come up with something to compete with the new Mustang...

A RWD, 2 door,
    V8 powered,
    affordable,
    retro-styled,
    sports car.
    And call it a ....
    Camaro!
    [​IMG]

6. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah,the only problem there is it has and will create many headaches for the Big 3 for many years to come.That "family plan" pulled people into the market far sooner than they normally would be in a position for purchasing a new vehicle and has also screwed up the used car market something awful as well.
    We have seen a huge glut of quality pre-owned vehicles that were not being purchased on their normal or regular rotation because buyers were opting for new ones instead.

The whole car business is upside down right now...good thing I'm in Commercial Fleet sales...;)

7. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This was just a comparison between chevrolet and ford.

Like adv1 said through in the rest of the divisions and then lets see where things really stand.

8. 71inCR

71inCR Veteran Member

I think GM is starting to get it turned around. I was reading an article a couple of weeks ago about how the quality of GM products has been improving recently. Look what they have done with Cadillac in the past 4 or 5 years. The qualty is a hell of alot better than it was a few years ago. Actually i would love to have one of those CTS-V's. Those things are pretty bad ass looking for a caddy, and they are fast!

9. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!

They just revamped them in 2004 , WTF.....Are you sure??
    IT's only been 2 years...okay 3 including 2006, they can't be redesigning it already.

GM probably only beat Ford because they dumped first on the Employee pricing discounts plus they led the way with the dumping Red Tag event at the end of the year that expired yesterday.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  10. Sc0tt_again

Sc0tt_again Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sales will definately slump hard for GM's trucks. Who would buy a truck now with NO incentives knowing they can knock 7k - 10k off the sticker and still make a profit. It's going to be very hard to sell a truck without lowing those prices waaayy back down.