Chinesium brake rotor

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by tom3, Sep 9, 2021.

1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Mild rant here. Doing a brake rebuild on the 70. Been about 35 years and it was way overdue. Wanted good stuff so I went with AC Delco premium parts thinking that stuff should be good. The first rotor looked real good, whole front was machined real pretty. Second rotor looked a little off. Did some measuring, sure was off. Both disc sections were thick and thin, back side had some bare casting still visible, casting off center. Looks like a real mess but the balance is off just a bit that I can tell with clean dry bearings. Guess I'll find out (in years to come) if it makes a difference.

ac delco brake rotor.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Take them and have them skim cut before you put them on. I just did that on my silverado and both new rear rotors were off just a bit.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sad when you buy new parts, and have to machine them to fit.

KingofThings and MChamp like this.
  4. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In 2019 I bought these pads and rotors for my 70 Z28 when my original rotors were done. Broke the pads in, alls good.
    No problems at all.
    1CA323C2-CA1B-48FF-8A38-7E3B4761B7C3.jpeg E6C6C62E-4FE8-4DBD-9710-B5CA4DD0308B.jpeg
    82144259-E5A2-4C6D-84D6-053E3B731E4E.jpeg
    00389B68-7DBF-4A29-9F6C-7866623AA39F.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  6. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

I have always tried to buy Raybestas whenever I could since the 70's. It looks like regular Carquest or NAPA rotors are just as good as the AC Delco stuff now.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

Per my local tire guy they always spin new rotors and check with a dial indicator on their rotor cutting machine before installing on the car or truck. If they have bad one they send it back to the parts store they don't cut them.

Zee, KingofThings and hubedobeedo like this.
  8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I bought mine I asked for rotors that would not worp in 1 year. He told me there are 3 types. Piss Poor, Medium and Excellent. I went with the best. I wanted to try slotted rotors but they were not available locally and I do not buy stuff like this online. Reading about slotted and drilled rotors, it said that they are prone to worping.

KingofThings and hubedobeedo like this.
  9. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

i got EBC for my 02 silverado and their pads . they supposedly are cast in Europe sent to states and machined here and coated and i believe their pads are made here.to be quite honest i thought they were great braking was better than original GM ,i bought truck new . the rotors i got for my 71 are federal mogul made in USA but i got those like 10 years ago so i am not sure were made now got at orielly's and the guy told me it was their last set. LOL chinese suspension and brake parts su## !

KingofThings and MChamp like this.
  10. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've had R1 Concepts Drilled and Slotted on all 4 of our cars, and just put them on the Camaro.
    They are not all that cheap, but I've been using their stuff for 15 years now. And they look bitchin.
    https://www.r1concepts.com/?gclid=C...ux-4yq7GXR-11tVZK0IGVaZjMmdPxNSxoCAa0QAvD_BwE

KingofThings likes this.